Chinese company building Moscow Metro

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Fascinating, I just read about this story in Moscow.

It seems that, for months now, a Chinese company, CRCC (China Railway Construction Corporation), has been contracted to build three new Metro stations, as well as tunnels and other infrastructure along with them, in south-western Moscow

Now, here is a fascinating detail: the Chinese are doing this work, technically, for FREE, at no charge, officially, to the Russian government or Moscow municipal authorities, and absorbing all the costs of the project for themselves.

There's just one thing they get in return: a huge plot of prime land, in Ramenki district, same area where the Metro is also being expanded, for another Chinese company affiliated with CRCC, who will build there a huge three high-rise tower apartment complex

The profits from selling of these apartments will, essentially, be the compensation for the Chinese.

City Hall just basically acknowledged this arrangement, "Metro for Skyscrapers", after an enquiry by journalists: В мэрии Москвы не опровергли переговоры «метро в обмен на небоскрёбы»

Well, some locals in Ramenki are unhappy, they don't want more big buildings and more cars and such in their neighbourhood, it is crammed and polluted as is

The girl's sign reads (it rhymes in Russian): "It used to be better, here in our Ramenki, I did not use to need, a gas mask at school"...

Others though appreciate the new Metro stations. Reportedly they will, when completed, feature traditional Chinese architectural styles and their art decorations, their way of "leaving a footprint of their culture in our city", in the words of the news lady talking about this thing on Russian state TV lol Can't wait for the pics...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Is that really the way the three skyscrapers will look? They look horrible like built by an amateur.
The design looks weird to me too...

To be fair, I believe irregular and odd shapes in architecture are cool there days lol

;)