Chris Christie’s liberal buddy

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Chris Christie’s liberal buddy
By E.J. Dionne Jr.

(snip ... )

Coben is a liberal, but he explained why he likes Christie in verypersonal op-ed published in the New York Times shortly after Christie won election as New Jersey’s governor in 2009. Here are a few paragraphs:

Whenever a new kid showed up at school, Chris was the first to greet him. Watch video of Chris on the campaign trail — he still finds the person in the back corner, the ill-at-ease one, and shakes his hand, brings him into the fold. On election night, when I entered his hotel suite, I was that person. Because of some weird hate mail after a TV appearance — I made the mistake of admitting to Sean Hannity that I voted for Barack Obama — I decided not to publicly support either candidate, even backing out of a fund-raiser Chris and I were hosting together.

Chris didn’t look at this as a betrayal. He understood my problem. When I entered the hotel suite on election night, he saw that I felt awkward and, as he did so many years ago on that baseball field, my roly-poly friend rushed over and made me feel welcome.

Cue the big bearhug.

If Christie does run, I imagine his campaign will e-mail Coben’s piece around in a big way. Coben may be called in to testify on behalf of his friend’s character to groups that are skeptical about him, a class to which I belong. But there was something in Coben’s piece that made me think Christie can walk away from all this – and that he will. And if Christie does run, it won’t be the first time he proved a liberal wrong.

Chris Christie’s liberal buddy - PostPartisan - The Washington Post

Okay, that's a good testimonial on Christie's character.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Chris Christie sounds like he's seriously considering jumping into the race. Just saw this blurb:

Christie Assessing Campaign Logistics

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's political advisers "are working to determine whether they could move fast enough to set up effective political operations in Iowa and New Hampshire in the wake of a relentless courtship aimed at persuading Mr. Christie, the governor of New Jersey, to plunge into the race for the Republican presidential nomination," the New York Times reports.

"Mr. Christie has not yet decided whether to run and has not authorized the start of a full-fledged campaign operation. But with the governor now seriously considering getting in, his strategists -- many of them veterans of Rudolph W. Giuliani's 2008 campaign -- are internally assessing the financial and logistical challenges of mounting a race with less than 100 days until voting is likely to begin."

Among those pushing Christie: Rupert Murdoch, Henry Kissinger, Nancy Reagan and William Kristol.

Washington Post: "But there are other signals that Christie is giving serious consideration to a run. One Iowa businessman, who sought unsuccessfully to draft Christie into the race earlier this year, said he was preparing this week to endorse another candidate, but Christie's political advisers asked him not to."

The person "was told to hold off until next Wednesday."

Christie Assessing Campaign Logistics

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Among those pushing Christie: Rupert Murdoch, Henry Kissinger, Nancy Reagan and William Kristol.
I'm loving the inclusion of Nancy Reagan.

Does anyone believe that a 90 year old former first lady is a high ranking political operative? More than likely, if it's true at all, she's being used as a political tool to apply pressure and raise the specter of her diseased husband.

Jun 2011
N/A
I don't think he can run, after saying about a gazillion times that he won't.

And the 1:53 second video put together by Politico over him pretty much buries him.
If he were to run and get nominated, the Democrats would have ads of he himself saying he doesn't have it in his heart to be President.

From SFGATE.COM:

Christie in His Own Words: Year-Long Mantra of 'I'm Not Running'

Sept. 27, speaking at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California:

"I've been succinct about this. Politico put a minute and 53 seconds of my answers strung back to back to back to back together on the question of running for the presidency. Click on it. Those are the answers."....

....June 26, on NBC-TV's "Meet the Press:"

"The person who picked me as vice president would have to be sedated. Seriously, forget it."

June 23, on Fox News's "Your World With Neil Cavuto:"

"I don't have the desire to do it. Nor do I think I'm ready."

June 15, on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight:"

"I'm 100 percent certain I'm not going to run."

May 24, at a news conference in Trenton, New Jersey:

"If the president's people want to do 'op' research on me, I'm sure that's their prerogative. They won't have a chance to use it, though, because I'm not going to be the Republican candidate for president or vice president in 2012."

May 9, on Philadelphia radio station WPHT-AM:

"I'm a kid from Jersey who has people asking him to run for president. I'm thrilled by it. I just don't want to do it."....

....April 6, to ABC News's Diane Sawyer:

"You don't make a decision to run for the president of the United States based on impulse. I don't feel ready in my heart to be president, and unless I do, I don't have any right offering myself to the people of this country. It's much too big a job."

-------------------------------------

.... more at the article...

Jun 2011
N/A
I'm loving the inclusion of Nancy Reagan.

Does anyone believe that a 90 year old former first lady is a high ranking political operative? More than likely, if it's true at all, she's being used as a political tool to apply pressure and raise the specter of her diseased husband.
That is somehow disturbing to me. Perhaps that 90 years old thing is just a little too out there for me. Let Nancy enjoy her senior years in peace...

Jun 2011
N/A
I have to admit, this from KOS is just too funny to ignore, so I am reprinting it here:

Faced with the spectacular implosion of Rick Perry's campaign, GOP elites have been searching far and wide for a new "savior of the moment."

Herman Cain, having convinced 996 Floridians to pay $175 to vote for him in a straw poll, thought that he might be "The One"—especially after receiving the coveted Donald Trump dinner invitation.

But Cain's ascent has done nothing to stop people from literally begging Chris Christie to suit up and run.

Should he choose to enter the race, there's no guarantee that Christie won't flounder like Perry has; and so, with that in mind, Mike Huckabee, Rudy Giuliani and Sarah Palin have been drawing up contingency plans.

------------------------------------

But you need to go to the link to see the picture that goes with it. And all the hyperlinks...

chuckle, chuckle...

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
I didn't THINK he was gonna run .... I still kinda sorta THINK he's not gonna run .... but, I don't know. Maybe!

Heard Giuliani was mulling it over still too. And Huck might be reconsidering as well.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Maybe we'll find out today if Christie's in or out. He's announced a press conference for this afternoon:

Christie Announces 1 PM ET Press Conference

MSNBC reports that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has announced a 1 p.m. ET press conference where the governor is expected to make a final decision on whether he will run for the White House.

Livewire | TPM

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
He's not running, though he would be a great president.

The first thing he did as Governor was reach out to mayor corey booker, two politicians on both sides of the aisle I have great admiration for.