Christian support of Trump problem

Dec 2018
Florida
I will repeat the admonition against lecturing me, and unless conversationalists share identical religious views the matter is an objective one for the purposes of discussion. You may take the lack of material evidence supporting the existence of gods or of unicorns as insulting - but it is fact. Were one to claim a believer is being stupid or malevolent in so doing, I might understand the assumption of insulting intent, however, no such claim was made, and you appear to be confusing enjoying the right to religious views with the right to have everyone else concur with those views. If I were to claim that my mother is the best mother in the world - I would not have the right to feel insulted if everyone did not agree with that position.
The lack of evidence is irrelevant. This is a common tactic. “Your belief is the same as a unicorn/leprechaun/mermaid/poop monster/insert random fairy tail creature.” Then be surprised that someone may find that insulting. And then pretend that being insulted by that comparison is trivial or irrelevant.

It may surprise you to learn that I am nominally a Christian, but I keep my spiritual beliefs private. In the event I should make those public, I would expect them to be questioned. There are things about which we simply do not have enough knowledge, so it is the philosophy of agnosticism which appears to be the most logical.
It doesn’t really matter what you identify as. End of day? When take a part of someone’s identity and trivialize it to the point of calling it fairy tales? That’s intentionally insulting.

I don’t think you understand the issue here. I’m not discussing rights. The OP is confused as to why republican Christians would support Trump. When the alternative is to support a side that has a large segment of the people who consistently mock, belittle, and trivialize religion? What other choice did they have? I don’t fault homosexuals for voting democrat. You shouldn’t fault gun owners for voting republican. Pick an issue. There shouldn’t be any shock as to why a Christian (especially an evangelical) would support a side that supported them on topics of not having to serve based on religious grounds.

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
Yes, the fact that evangelicals were able to line up behind Trump in the primary really puts a lie to the excuse that it was about abortion, for example, where pretty much the whole field had the same position (and Trump, having been strongly pro-choice until recently, seemed a lot less reliable than most). It was the hate. Trump reflected back a hatred of "the Other" -- gays, liberated women, foreigners, Muslims, liberals, etc. He did so in a much less veiled way than the rest of the field. And that naked hatred was exhilarating for the religious right. For too long they'd had to deal with the thin gruel of watered-down bigotry, and then Trump came along serving straight shots of the stuff, and they couldn't get enough.
Well put, Arkady.
I think this applies to many "Christian" followers, which is dang depressing. And stark commentary on the unique moral flexibility of "Christian" values.

Side note: Until he got into office, Trump was actually very gay-friendly. Even got the GOP convention hall to give a long standing-O to a gay service member -- Afterwhich thanking the audience for being so down with gay folk. At least that's how I remember it. Plus in the debates I believe he said he'd attend a gay wedding, no problem.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
The lack of evidence is irrelevant. This is a common tactic. “Your belief is the same as a unicorn/leprechaun/mermaid/poop monster/insert random fairy tail creature.” Then be surprised that someone may find that insulting. And then pretend that being insulted by that comparison is trivial or irrelevant.

It doesn’t really matter what you identify as. End of day? When take a part of someone’s identity and trivialize it to the point of calling it fairy tales? That’s intentionally insulting.

I don’t think you understand the issue here. I’m not discussing rights. The OP is confused as to why republican Christians would support Trump. When the alternative is to support a side that has a large segment of the people who consistently mock, belittle, and trivialize religion? What other choice did they have? I don’t fault homosexuals for voting democrat. You shouldn’t fault gun owners for voting republican. Pick an issue. There shouldn’t be any shock as to why a Christian (especially an evangelical) would support a side that supported them on topics of not having to serve based on religious grounds.
Tit for tat. Christians shouldn't do the trivializing if they can't take it in return.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Well put, Arkady.
I think this applies to many "Christian" followers, which is dang depressing. And stark commentary on the unique moral flexibility of "Christian" values.

Side note: Until he got into office, Trump was actually very gay-friendly. Even got the GOP convention hall to give a long standing-O to a gay service member -- Afterwhich thanking the audience for being so down with gay folk. At least that's how I remember it. Plus in the debates I believe he said he'd attend a gay wedding, no problem.
He was also cool with trans people -- for example, saying people should use the bathroom they identify with. But, once in office he divided the world into those he saw as supporting him, and those who oppose him. Since the anti-gay and anti-trans bigots support him, and the gay people and trans people oppose him, he is now hostile to LGBT rights.

Dec 2018
Florida
Tit for tat. Christians shouldn't do the trivializing if they can't take it in return.
Well. 2 wrongs don’t make a right. But I also am not surprised by positions held by democrats and don’t ask silly questions about why they support a certain elected official. Like why I said I’m not surprised that homosexuals don’t support republicans.

I’m a huge fan of the first amendment and tend to point out that the position held by many evangelical Christians on politics would be very bad for THEM and THEIR freedom. But I’m also of the opinion that politics is the worst thing to happen to humans ever. :shrug:

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
He was also cool with trans people -- for example, saying people should use the bathroom they identify with. But, once in office he divided the world into those he saw as supporting him, and those who oppose him. Since the anti-gay and anti-trans bigots support him, and the gay people and trans people oppose him, he is now hostile to LGBT rights.
Yup. Which should speak loudly to his fluid principles, to any critical thinker.