Christian wins case against employers over gay marriage comments

Nov 2008
Washington state
A Christian who was demoted for posting his opposition to gay marriage on Facebook has won a legal case against his employer.
Adrian Smith lost his managerial position, had his salary cut by 40%, and was given a final written warning by Trafford Housing Trust (THT) after posting in February last year that gay weddings in churches were "an equality too far".
The comments were not visible to the general public, and were posted outside work time, but the trust said he broke its code of conduct by expressing religious or political views which might upset co-workers.

Smith brought breach of contract proceedings, saying the trust acted unlawfully in demoting him, and Mr Justice Briggs ruled in his favour at the high court on Friday. The judge said the trust did not have a right to demote Smith as his Facebook postings did not amount to misconduct, and the demotion imposed by way of purported disciplinary sanction constituted a breach of contract.
The dispute began in February 2011 when Smith saw an article on the BBC News website headed "Gay church marriages get go ahead". He linked to it on his Facebook page and added the comment: "An equality too far". Two colleagues read the remark and one of them posted a response asking Smith to explain what he meant.
The next evening he posted: "I don't understand why people who have no faith and don't believe in Christ would want to get hitched in church.
"The Bible is quite specific that marriage is for men and women. If the state wants to offer civil marriage to the same sex then that is up to the state; but the state shouldn't impose its rules on places of faith and conscience."

Later Smith said in a statement: "I'm pleased to have won my case for breach of contract today. The judge exonerated me and made clear that my comments about marriage were in no way 'misconduct'.
"My award of damages has been limited to less than £100 – but that is for technical legal reasons and the judge made it clear he was not able to award me a much larger sum.
"But I didn't do this for the money – I did this because there is an important principle at stake.
"Britain is a free country where people have freedom of speech, and I am pleased that the judge's ruling underlines that important principle. Christian wins case against employers over gay marriage comments

Glad this Christian won his case in Great Britain. America hopefully will learn that punishing a religious person for what they post on Facebook concerning their beliefs should not put their job in jeopardy . Democrats have said Christians can’t have free speech if it hurts others. Where in the Constitution does it say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Leaf Aricsun