Christianity

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Snark, humour and social commentary aside - I suppose the answer is yes.

If you believe that Jesus was the Son of God and then defy everything he ever stood for, living a life entirely opposite from his teachings and paying no attention to his lessons.... And you find a group of like-minded people to meet with each week...then you're a Christian.

Ditto Muslims. Jews, Hindus, you name it.

That's why you can't collectively blame people for something someone else of the same religion did.

remington50

Dec 2018
Florida
I always find it interesting when someone tries to put others down for “not giving enough.” We all fall short. That is actually an important part of Christianity. How many of us ignore the people asking us for money on a daily basis? I’m so desensitized to it now that I don’t even look at the people on the corners with the signs. I guess I got sick of watching people in wheel chairs ask for money only to watch them STAND UP AND WALK AWAY.

I know Jesus did a lot of healing in the Bible. I think one of the best donations we can give is our time. And giving it to something that is worthwhile. But keep in mind, that doesn’t erase the bad stuff we do, and it certainly isn’t our actions that get us into heaven. Grace of God alone.

But hey. I’m a Presbyterian. My views are a tad different lol.

Oct 2019
Earth
Snark, humour and social commentary aside - I suppose the answer is yes.

If you believe that Jesus was the Son of God and then defy everything he ever stood for, living a life entirely opposite from his teachings and paying no attention to his lessons.... And you find a group of like-minded people to meet with each week...then you're a Christian.

Ditto Muslims. Jews, Hindus, you name it.

That's why you can't collectively blame people for something someone else of the same religion did.
What?

The person who said (in context of entering a dangerous situation) that his apostles who did not have a sword should sell their cloak to buy one.

Or how about when he went flipping tables and flogging the money changers?

Sometimes people just pull the lessons they want to be true.

Nov 2016
USA
Now that I’m retired, I find it easier to give of my time. What *I* get out of the Christian sewing group that I participate in is that for one day, I’m with a small group of lovely women who restore my faith that There is goodness in humans.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
Now that I’m retired, I find it easier to give of my time. What *I* get out of the Christian sewing group that I participate in is that for one day, I’m with a small group of lovely women who restore my faith that There is goodness in humans.
The Bible says differently There is nothing good in us without God's grace. Even evil people (or people that completely reject Christ) that do a good deed. That good deed is because of the Grace of God alone. If God took his hand away completely we can't imagine the evil and darkness that would be us.

Reactions: Hognoxious

remington50

Dec 2018
Florida
I think Jimmy Carter said it best when he said "you can't call yourself a Christian if you complain about your tax dollars going to help the poor." Something to that affect anyway.
I think it really depends on how it is going to them. I can absolutely complain if my money is being spent to for useless programs rather than for things that would actually help someone become self sufficient and live a better life.

I wonder how often people who go on welfare come off? Not everyone is gonna be rich obviously. I mean don’t get me wrong. I understand that welfare is a safety net. I’ve got relatives who have been on it. But they also got a job and got off it. I see many people on my area who think it is their income. :( And that saddens me.

Reactions: HadEnough2