Christians' weigh in on orca crisis

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
No, it's not the Onion.

The American Family Association, a religious right group, is urging that Tilikum (Tilly), the killer whale that killed a trainer at SeaWorld Orlando, be put down, preferably by stoning. Citing Tilly's history of violent altercations, the group is slamming SeaWorld for not listening to Scripture in how to deal with the animal:

Says the ancient civil code of Israel, "When an ox gores a man or woman to death, the ox shall be stoned, and its flesh shall not be eaten, but the owner shall not be liable." (Exodus 21:28)

You've got to be shitting me. According to the bible, I guess Seaworld, Inc. should be stoned to death right along with him.

Chalk another death up to animal rights insanity and to the ongoing failure of the West to take counsel on practical matters from the Scripture. [...] So, your animal kills somebody, your moral responsibility is to put that animal to death. You have no moral culpability in the death, because you didn’t know the animal was going to go postal on somebody. But, the Scripture soberly warns, if one of your animals kills a second time because you didn’t kill it after it claimed its first human victim, this time you die right along with your animal. To use the example from Exodus, if your ox kills a second time, “the ox shall be stoned, and its owner also shall be put to death.†(Exodus 21:29)

Some people are just fucking crazy

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
[quote name='Blueneck' date='04 March 2010 - 09:36 AM' timestamp='1267724216' post='124762']

No, it's not the Onion.

You've got to be shitting me. According to the bible, I guess Seaworld, Inc. should be stoned to death right along with him.

Some people are just fucking crazy

[/quote]

crooksandliars.com ? I am not sure I trust your source.

Sep 2005
I'm not religious but if given the opportunity to kill a whale with rocks, I might have to do it. I mean it's despicable and all, but most days you wake up, do whatever and go to sleep. This is memorable. That's some shit you'll be telling your grandkids you did.

Plus, I think they're stupid looking.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
[quote name='PoliticalHotwire' date='04 March 2010 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1267724332' post='124765']

I'm not religious but if given the opportunity to kill a whale with rocks, I might have to do it. I mean it's despicable and all, but most days you wake up, do whatever and go to sleep. This is memorable. That's some shit you'll be telling your grandkids you did.

[/quote]

I prefer good old fashion TNT.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
[quote name='PoliticalHotwire' date='04 March 2010 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1267724332' post='124765']

[/quote]

Did you skip breakfast this morning?

Sep 2009
[quote name='gabebrooks' date='04 March 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1267724595' post='124769']

Did you skip breakfast this morning?

[/quote]

Did he forget his prozac is a better question.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
[quote name='Blueneck' date='04 March 2010 - 10:39 AM' timestamp='1267727960' post='124803']

Here you go - the original source:

http://www.afa.net/Blogs/BlogPost.aspx?id=2147492239

[/quote]

Okay, let's see:

WHO IS AFA?

American Family Association (AFA) a non-profit 501(c3) organization was founded in 1977 by Donald E. Wildmon, who was pastoring First United Methodist Church in Southaven, Mississippi, at the time. Click here for an article entitled "Special AFA Anniversary Extra". For 32 years, Wildmon has been on the frontlines of America’s culture war. See article "Courageous crusader, single-minded servant, humble hero". The original name of the ministry was National Federation for Decency but was changed to American Family Association (AFA) in 1988.

Today, AFA is one of the largest and most effective pro-family organizations in the country with over two million online supporters and approximately 180,000 paid subscribers to the AFA Journal, the ministry's monthly magazine. In addition, AFA owns and operates nearly 200 radio stations across the country under the American Family Radio (AFR) banner.

Other divisions of AFA include OneNewsNow.com, an online news provider that is syndicated around the world. AFA maintains activist web sites such as OneMillionMoms.com and OneMillionDads.com that rally Christian activists to contact companies asking them to drop their advertising from objectionable TV shows. AFA web sites average over 40 million hits and five million visitors each month.

AFA uses all these means to communicate an outspoken, resolute, Christian voice throughout America.

It is AFA’s goal to be a champion of Christian activism. If you are alarmed by the increasing ungodliness and depravity assaulting our nation, tired of cursing the darkness, and ready to light a bonfire, please join us. Do it for your children and grandchildren.

~~ A lot of stuff... like raising money to buy wheelchairs, assistance with disasters, normal chuch stuff.

~~~~

In your link they talk about how the Bible says to stone a animal to death... but they do not suggest actually doing that with stones. They just believe that after a animal kills a human it should be killed. Many non Christians believe that too. I am not one of them, but all things considered, it's not really as crazy as it sounds in OP like they are gathering up rocks now.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
[quote name='gabebrooks' date='04 March 2010 - 02:05 PM' timestamp='1267729536' post='124816']

Okay, let's see:

WHO IS AFA?

American Family Association (AFA) a non-profit 501(c3) organization was founded in 1977 by Donald E. Wildmon, who was pastoring First United Methodist Church in Southaven, Mississippi, at the time. Click here for an article entitled "Special AFA Anniversary Extra". For 32 years, Wildmon has been on the frontlines of America’s culture war. See article "Courageous crusader, single-minded servant, humble hero". The original name of the ministry was National Federation for Decency but was changed to American Family Association (AFA) in 1988.

Today, AFA is one of the largest and most effective pro-family organizations in the country with over two million online supporters and approximately 180,000 paid subscribers to the AFA Journal, the ministry's monthly magazine. In addition, AFA owns and operates nearly 200 radio stations across the country under the American Family Radio (AFR) banner.

Other divisions of AFA include OneNewsNow.com, an online news provider that is syndicated around the world. AFA maintains activist web sites such as OneMillionMoms.com and OneMillionDads.com that rally Christian activists to contact companies asking them to drop their advertising from objectionable TV shows. AFA web sites average over 40 million hits and five million visitors each month.

AFA uses all these means to communicate an outspoken, resolute, Christian voice throughout America.

It is AFA’s goal to be a champion of Christian activism. If you are alarmed by the increasing ungodliness and depravity assaulting our nation, tired of cursing the darkness, and ready to light a bonfire, please join us. Do it for your children and grandchildren.

~~ A lot of stuff... like raising money to buy wheelchairs, assistance with disasters, normal chuch stuff.

~~~~

In your link they talk about how the Bible says to stone a animal to death... but they do not suggest actually doing that with stones. They just believe that after a animal kills a human it should be killed. Many non Christians believe that too. I am not one of them, but all things considered, it's not really as crazy as it sounds in OP like they are gathering up rocks now.

[/quote]

I think using a bible passage to justify killing a wild animal that is in captivity for not behaving the same way a domesticated animal would be expected to is ridiculous even without the rocks.

Sep 2009
[quote name='Blueneck' date='04 March 2010 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1267734214' post='124870']

I think using a bible passage to justify killing a wild animal that is in captivity for not behaving the same way a domesticated animal would be expected to is ridiculous even without the rocks.

[/quote]

Thank you!