Christie back in spotlight as Perry sags

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Christie back in spotlight as Perry sags

With the party’s frontrunner sagging, Chris Christie is reconsidering pleas from Republican elites and donors to run for president in 2012, two Republican sources told POLITICO.

The New Jersey governor has indicated he is listening to big-money backers and Republican influence-makers, and will let them know in roughly a week whether he has moved off his
threat-of-suicide vow to stay on the sidelines of a presidential race that remains amorphous heading into the fall, the two sources said.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s candidacy has failed to clear a basic bar with elites and some donors, and his shoddy debate performance in Orlando has only highlighted the window for someone who Republicans searching for a Mitt Romney alternative can rally around.

Christie’s potential candidacy has been an increasingly fevered fantasy of a certain cadre of some media and business elites — mostly based in New York, with a smattering of California technology and entertainment players — since last summer. That’s when he showed up at a Sun Valley conference hosted by the investment banker Allen and Co. and wowed the crowd, including Rupert Murdoch, with what many in attendance described as a nimble mind and a speaking style that was both articulate and blunt-spoken.

But after months of going out of his way to end the speculation, Christie started indicating he would at least think about getting in during the past week, the sources said, a period in which he held an event with Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels — who has strongly indicated he’d like to see another entry to the field — and had a meeting with a group of major New York donors.

Read more: Christie back in spotlight as Perry sags - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com

Perry debate debacle creating an opening for Christie? I thought the Christie fever had cooled, looks like maybe not.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Christie/Gingrich would rock. Or Paul/Christie. U-pikit.
Christie/Gingrich would be interesting. Sorry, I know you're a Paulite, but he is never going be the GOP nominee, so, not worth contemplating (for me).

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
So the Republicans are convinced that history and the American people are on their side...they've demonized Obama in unprecedented fashion, sacrificing pretty much everything on the altar of beating him in 2012....and they're still looking for the "Great White Hope?" (I'm using the term as a metaphor, btw, not an accusation of racism.)

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
So the Republicans are convinced that history and the American people are on their side...they've demonized Obama in unprecedented fashion, sacrificing pretty much everything on the altar of beating him in 2012....and they're still looking for the "Great White Hope?" (I'm using the term as a metaphor, btw, not an accusation of racism.)

I can only conclude that they must think that.... (the bolded)

It is odd, the floundering about, wishing for someone else to get into the race. A few weeks ago, that guy was Perry.

Reactions: Steam Heat

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Kinda like obammy getting a second term isn't worth my contemplation? =)
Nope, not at all. Kind of like one is very likely, and the other will never, ever happen. =)

I'll see if I can find the Irish gamblers latest odds for ya :)

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Nope, not at all. Kind of like one is very likely, and the other will never, ever happen. =)

I'll see if I can find the Irish gamblers latest odds for ya :)

You can put your money on it, Mord :)

Intrade - Ron Paul to be Republican Presidential Nominee in 2012 is 2.9% probable

Intrade - Barack Obama to be re-elected President in 2012 is 47.3% probable

Paul to be nominee - currently 2.7% chance
Obama to win in 20.12 - currently 47.3% chance

Hey Paul has bigger chance to be President than nominee :) - 3.2% chance.
Next closest odds to Obama's 47.3% chance is Romney .... with a 21.2% chance, currently. Could make some money there! That'll definitely go up after he clinches the nomination.

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/?eventId=84326

Last edited:
Feb 2011
happyfunville
I wouldn't go so far as to say the obama second term will "never, ever happen". It's just unlikely considering what a piss-poor job he's done so far.