Christine Blasey Ford’s Accusation Against Kavanaugh Isn’t an Eleventh-Hour Attack

Sep 2012
SoCal
RepubliCons are trying to replay the Thomas nom being pushed thru...this nominee is worse.

Christine Blasey Ford’s Accusation Against Kavanaugh Isn’t an Eleventh-Hour Attack
Why do women wait until the last possible second to speak out about sexual harassment and assault claims? This is exactly the line of questioning Senate Republicans used to smear Anita Hill back when she testified against Clarence Thomas. Why didn't she lodge these complaints until he was poised to sit on the highest court of the land, given that he had previously been appointed to prestigious positions?

It's a funny question. It's actually related to the question I asked last week, which was: Why do women come forward with these claims at all? The prevailing Republican argument seems to be that if a woman was truly the victim of a violent act of sexual aggression, she ought to have reported it the very instant it happened, so the decision to wait to report it on the eve of a Senate Judiciary Committee vote clearly represents craven dirty tricks.

Here's one problem with that analysis: It's only the "eleventh hour" because Chuck Grassley and Mitch McConnell have decided this hearing needs to happen at light speed. Indeed, the pacing apparently necessitated withholding the vast majority of the nominee's records from the National Archives, which they argued was fine because the documents were being vetted by a friend of the nominee"s. In fact, the same need for lightning speed required that Kavanaugh be rushed through the process so quickly that it necessitated tens of thousands of pages of documents to be sent to the full committee the night before confirmation hearings began.

The definition of power must include the power to set the timetable in which facts are discernible, and Senate Republicans, who held a Supreme Court seat open for almost a year, are now unwilling to hold one open for three months. The reason the eleventh hour wasn't, say, the third hour is entirely because the timetable has been set by those who wanted to short-circuit meaningful scrutiny. So the complaint that it's too late in the process is hard to swallow.

That is one reason why complaints about Ford's timing ring hollow. But here is the deeper reason why women don't publicly report their assaults until the last possible instant and until they absolutely have to: Women who are victims start the clock at the moment of their trauma. Men who are perpetrators start it at the moment they are caught.

...MORE...

Jul 2013
Ohio
Say good-night, Brett Kavanaugh. It's over.

What's amusing is that Mitch McConnell warned Trump to NOT pick Kavanaugh, but being the sick prick Trump is, he did just that.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Great account of what is going on! Republicans should become well aware of this information and stop their partisanship.

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Yup. When I tried to tell perpetrator I forgave him, he said “Well, Boop; it’s not as though it did any lasting damage.” Orly? Because I’m twice the woman I used to be. I literally buried my body in honor of said damage. It took me five decades to realize I can come out now.

People who aren’t survivors have No Fucking Idea.

None.

Jul 2015
Florida
The woman is in HIDING tonight. LOOK AT THIS BOARD. Look at your stupid ass question.

And we wonder why women/ GIRLS don't come forward!

An accomplished professor with degrees in statistical analytics in psychology, affiliated with STANFORD, married (with kids) and look what is happening to her.

Imagine a scared 15 year old in a house alone with 2 boys in a room she manages TO ESCAPE FROM. Having the courage or presence of mind to march down to some RICH small town cops and tell them 2 preppies from the local private school, JUST TRIED TO RAPE HER!

Yeah, sure, WHY DIDN'T SHE TELL? Grow a fucking brain.

Dec 2006
required field
The woman is in HIDING tonight. LOOK AT THIS BOARD. Look at your stupid ass question.

And we wonder why women/ GIRLS don't come forward!

An accomplished professor with degrees in statistical analytics in psychology, affiliated with STANFORD, married (with kids) and look what is happening to her.

Imagine a scared 15 year old in a house alone with 2 boys in a room she manages TO ESCAPE FROM. Having the courage or presence of mind to march down to some RICH small town cops and tell them 2 preppies from the local private school, JUST TRIED TO RAPE HER!

Yeah, sure, WHY DIDN'T SHE TELL? Grow a fucking brain.
I'm really not sure why you're coming down on me like a ton of bricks. I never said otherwise. I've said several times that I believe her. I mean I literally agreed with the OP by quoting a passage from their post and saying "that is so true" in the response you just unloaded on me for. I didn't even ask any questions. You can look for yourself in the other threads if you want to, but I'm not going to go drag up my posts.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Sep 2014
United States
Right ...

So, Feinstein sits on this letter for 3 months and pulls it out on the 11th hour and then the fake news reports it's not an 11th hour attack.

LMAO @ the sheeple ....

Bleat, bleat, baby ....

And they wonder why thinking people laugh at them.