("Chuckie") Schumer introducing bill to rename the RUSSELL Senate bldg. after MC CAIN!

Jul 2015
Florida
Uh oh, that'll quite likely piss of the orange asshole! Russell was a Republican, so one will replace the other. No one really knows who Russell is any more. (He also had a problems with 'civil rights'). Anyway, this will be fun to watch. Not a bad idea. I'd vote for it.

Shumer to introduce bill naming Senate office building after McCain amid Trump uproar

BY JORDAIN CARNEY - 03/20/19 11:24 AM EDT 1,894

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday that he will introduce a resolution to rename the Russell Senate Office building after Sen. John McCain amid a growing backlash against President Trump's recent comments about the late Arizona Republican.

"I look forward to soon re-introducing my legislation re-naming the Russell Senate Building after American hero, Senator John McCain," Schumer said in a tweet on Wednesday.

A spokesman for Schumer didn't immediately respond to questions about a timeline for the resolution or what Republican would be co-sponsoring it.

Schumer's announcement comes as Trump has revived his long-running criticism of McCain, who he has repeatedly lashed out for being captured during the Vietnam War and for voting against the GOP ObamaCare repeal and replace bill.

Trump, while speaking at the White House on Tuesday, said he "was never a fan of John McCain, and I never will be."

Trump's criticism of McCain has drawn backlash from senators, including Schumer and GOP Sens.
Johnny Isakson (Ga.) and Mitt Romney(Utah). Schumer, speaking to a New York radio station, called it "awful."

McCain passed away in August from an aggressive form of brain cancer.

Schumer said shortly after his death that he would introduce a resolution to rename the Russell Senate Office building after McCain. Schumer and Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) circulated a "Dear Colleague" letter to senators urging them to support their effort...

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...er-mccain-amid

Jul 2015
Florida
Way of honoring McCain for his lifelong service (he was on the wrong side of the aisle for my taste most of the time) AND trolling Trump at the same time. Kudos !
He was about 60%, wrong side, too hawkish in some regard, more restrained in other. Mixed bag! But I always liked him. He pissed me off from time to time. But then the same for my own PARTY.

Jun 2014
United States
Uh oh, that'll quite likely piss of the orange asshole! Russell was a Republican, so one will replace the other.

No, you're wrong about that. Russell was a Democrat, back in the Dixiecrat days, prior to the implementation of the Southern Strategy.

So, since it would involve replacing a Democrat with a Republican, maybe it will pass?

Jan 2014
California
Uh oh, that'll quite likely piss of the orange asshole! Russell was a Republican, so one will replace the other. No one really knows who Russell is any more. (He also had a problems with 'civil rights'). Anyway, this will be fun to watch. Not a bad idea. I'd vote for it.
Shumer to introduce bill naming Senate office building after McCain amid Trump uproar
BY JORDAIN CARNEY - 03/20/19 11:24 AM EDT 1,894

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday that he will introduce a resolution to rename the Russell Senate Office building after Sen. John McCain amid a growing backlash against President Trump's recent comments about the late Arizona Republican.
"I look forward to soon re-introducing my legislation re-naming the Russell Senate Building after American hero, Senator John McCain," Schumer said in a tweet on Wednesday.
A spokesman for Schumer didn't immediately respond to questions about a timeline for the resolution or what Republican would be co-sponsoring it.
Schumer's announcement comes as Trump has revived his long-running criticism of McCain, who he has repeatedly lashed out for being captured during the Vietnam War and for voting against the GOP ObamaCare repeal and replace bill.
Trump, while speaking at the White House on Tuesday, said he "was never a fan of John McCain, and I never will be."
Trump's criticism of McCain has drawn backlash from senators, including Schumer and GOP Sens. Johnny Isakson (Ga.) and Mitt Romney(Utah). Schumer, speaking to a New York radio station, called it "awful."
McCain passed away in August from an aggressive form of brain cancer.
Schumer said shortly after his death that he would introduce a resolution to rename the Russell Senate Office building after McCain. Schumer and Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) circulated a "Dear Colleague" letter to senators urging them to support their effort...
Mr. Picturetaker,

True, naming the building after a great Republican senator rather than a racist democrat sounds like a good idea.

Jul 2016
8/20/19 PH HISTORY!
I think this was already proposed right after McCain's death and voted down. Let's see what happens now.

Jul 2015
Florida
Mr. Picturetaker,

True, naming the building after a great Republican senator rather than a racist democrat sounds like a good idea.
You got it. The other poster got their knickers in a twist. My mistake was about my forgetting which SEN'S namesake bldg. we used to 'lunch' at. As guv employees we could eat at cafeterias at both 'The Russell' and at 'The Dirk'. And did, though mostly in Dirksen's bldg. I always got the 2 guys mixed up. Both were in their power positions and DEAD before I could vote and way before my years in DC.

RUSSELL was a southern DEM. (From GA?) Without looking I'm assuming he wasn't a civil rights proponent or a scion of other liberal causes.

Another DIXIECRAT that gave our party a bad name. Now the GOP gladly owns our history.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Mr. Gaffer,

He died in office in 1971, Senate Pro Tem of the 92st Congress. The Democrats controlled the Senate 54 to 44.
I didn't say he switched parties, he probably would have, just like his Bud, Strom Thurmond, but he died, but his kids and grand kids can all be right wing Republicans now in the same place with the same beliefs and the same hates.