Church = Echo Chamber?

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Is church the original echo chamber? Or, maybe...hast it BECOME our greatest non-Internet echo chamber?

Maybe with the exception of Society of Friends (Quaker) meetings, where members are free to stand up and state their minds independently, and possibly in some Temples (I've had limited experience in both) ideas are still open for discussion. But in most Christian churches, would you say you're expected to fall in line politically?

I know a lot of evangelicals and Church of Christers, who pretty much fall in line with the congregation on everything. And I've seen the same in Unitarian Churches.

Episcopalians used to be a mixed bag, but that's fading.

If you go to church is it an echo chamber? If you know church goers do they seem to engage in group-think, beyond spiritual beliefs?

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
My church is probably all conservative voters.

Lots of pro 2nd amendment voters

Everyone is pro life

Politics isn't discussed much in church service unless it's a sin issue like abortion, lgbtq, etc

I talk politics with some people at my church before after or in between sunday school and the service

Jun 2014
United States
Is church the original echo chamber? Or, maybe...hast it BECOME our greatest non-Internet echo chamber?

Maybe with the exception of Society of Friends (Quaker) meetings, where members are free to stand up and state their minds independently, and possibly in some Temples (I've had limited experience in both) ideas are still open for discussion. But in most Christian churches, would you say you're expected to fall in line politically?

I know a lot of evangelicals and Church of Christers, who pretty much fall in line with the congregation on everything. And I've seen the same in Unitarian Churches.

Episcopalians used to be a mixed bag, but that's fading.

If you go to church is it an echo chamber? If you know church goers do they seem to engage in group-think, beyond spiritual beliefs?

You've hit upon the reason why I no longer attend church services.

Mar 2019
Are we expected to fall in line politically at my church?

I don't think so. If it's a sin issue like killing unborn babies and lgbtq, then yes. But there is no requirement at my church to be pro second amendment. There is a blind asian kid that my friend brings to church. I heard he was for gun control, the pastors debated him on facebook and he didn't want to come back I heard. Well our pastors talked to him from what I heard and got him to come back despite the disagreement they had on facebook. My church is gracious in that way. This kid still comes to church now. And he is saved. I've prayed many times with him.

My church really focuses on scripture, salvation, the Bible. Politics is something they would talk about when we're just standing around talking or eating.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Mine is lol

Russian Orthodox churches are hardly known for democratic or diverse-opinion-type environment ;)

You basically cannot question anything that the leaders back in Moscow enshrine as ideology in the organization... Which, of course, ultimately, comes more from Putin, than from God...

But, whatever. I don't go there to get into arguments with other people. I just want to light candles to namesake saint icons of my relatives and friends and contemplate things in peaceful silence.

My church certainly DOES offer that. Of course, you are also expected to stand, during prayers. For four-five hours straight. :D

If one can endure that, one is welcome lol (Plus, of course, you cannot be a homosexual and many other things haha)

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Perhaps but mainstream politics is considered taboo in church as it doesn't belong. Conversations of the unenlightened and all that...

Mar 2019
Perhaps but mainstream politics is considered taboo in church as it doesn't belong. Conversations of the unenlightened and all that...
During church, it's supposed to be about God's Word in the Bible. Cause Politics won't save you. Even conservative politics. You need Christ