Church = Echo Chamber?

Blues63

Dec 2014
Tatooine
Is church the original echo chamber? Or, maybe...hast it BECOME our greatest non-Internet echo chamber?

Maybe with the exception of Society of Friends (Quaker) meetings, where members are free to stand up and state their minds independently, and possibly in some Temples (I've had limited experience in both) ideas are still open for discussion. But in most Christian churches, would you say you're expected to fall in line politically?

I know a lot of evangelicals and Church of Christers, who pretty much fall in line with the congregation on everything. And I've seen the same in Unitarian Churches.

Episcopalians used to be a mixed bag, but that's fading.

If you go to church is it an echo chamber? If you know church goers do they seem to engage in group-think, beyond spiritual beliefs?

I think it was always a bit of an echo chamber, after all, it is a place where like minded people congregate (pun intended). Kings knew that if they were to influence the people into supporting a war, they got the clergy on their side. It is not limited to Christianity, as history will attest, for the Egyptians and the Romans were the same - get the priesthood to give a prophecy or reading that will fool the people into believing whatever Pharaoh or the Imperator wants them to believe.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Is church the original echo chamber? Or, maybe...hast it BECOME our greatest non-Internet echo chamber?

Maybe with the exception of Society of Friends (Quaker) meetings, where members are free to stand up and state their minds independently, and possibly in some Temples (I've had limited experience in both) ideas are still open for discussion. But in most Christian churches, would you say you're expected to fall in line politically?

I know a lot of evangelicals and Church of Christers, who pretty much fall in line with the congregation on everything. And I've seen the same in Unitarian Churches.

Episcopalians used to be a mixed bag, but that's fading.

If you go to church is it an echo chamber? If you know church goers do they seem to engage in group-think, beyond spiritual beliefs?
I think it is very possible if a person attends the same Church....it can become a echo chamber and boring. Small churches especially. I have never heard any politics in a church....and I attend at least one service a year in 3 States. I go when I feel like it and where I feel like. My husband is Catholic as a child then switched to Luthern when his Mom got pissed at the church. I was raised Baptist but I am open to all of them. We bounce around, sometimes we will hit Mass if we go to brunch in Little Italy. The service is heavily Italian and the building is absolutely gorgeous. One of the oldest in the City. Sometimes we will go to a non-denomination and when our friends or co-workers invite us.

I am a little nervous about the Evangelican churches. I don't know that much about them and I am not sure what label they fall under. What I have heard is negative. I would walk out if I visited a church and heard a bunch of stupidity, about gay people, abortion, God loves Guns, or whatever. That is a waste of my time. The message must be positive and uplifting. I also attend several yoga classes each week....so I might be a little Buddist as well. :)

My Dad is pretty versed in churches and he doesn't truly get the Evangelican thing either. He just says "Thats a republican church, you don't want to go there" LOL He is like you, a lone blue dot in a red sea. :)