Church of Christ: a cult?

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Orangemanbad
Anybody here know anyone in Church of Christ? Not UNITED Church of Christ but just Church of Christ?

I do and I gotta say, while it might fall short of "cult" it's pretty odd.

They celebrate SECULAR Christmas...you know, the materialism...but don't say it has anything to do with Christ. They have no musical instruments in church. Among the members I know, the men hold jobs and the women stay home. Homeschooling is big. Spanking of children seems to be prescribed by the church and is pretty frequent. They call going to church, "worship" and they do it Sunday, Sunday evening and Wednesdays. And if you leave the church your ostracized. Oh...divorce is a one way ticket to hell.

Anybody else with experience?

Reactions: The Man
Oct 2019
International Falls, Minnesota
Anybody here know anyone in Church of Christ? Not UNITED Church of Christ but just Church of Christ?

I do and I gotta say, while it might fall short of "cult" it's pretty odd.

They celebrate SECULAR Christmas...you know, the materialism...but don't say it has anything to do with Christ. They have no musical instruments in church. Among the members I know, the men hold jobs and the women stay home. Homeschooling is big. Spanking of children seems to be prescribed by the church and is pretty frequent. They call going to church, "worship" and they do it Sunday, Sunday evening and Wednesdays. And if you leave the church your ostracized. Oh...divorce is a one way ticket to hell.

Anybody else with experience?
Spanking is biblical. The only strange thing is no musical instruments. Never understood that one.

Oct 2019
International Falls, Minnesota
Then, so is slavery.

...and concubines.

...and mass killings.

...and...
No, just because something is in the Bible, it doesn't mean it's the will of God. You clearly are not correctly dividing the Word, and I'm positive you believe you are. You're not a believer. Therefore, not equipped with the Holy Spirit.