CIA's fake Polio Vaccination program in Pakistan

Oct 2013
Sweden
Did CIA?s Fake Polio Vaccination Program in Pakistan Help Fuel a Global Health Emergency? | Democracy Now!

Until recently, polio had been nearly eradicated, thanks to a 25-year campaign that vaccinated billions of children. In Pakistan, the increase in polio is being linked to a secret CIA ploy used in the hunt for Osama bin Laden. With the help of a Pakistani doctor, the CIA set up a fake vaccination campaign in the city of Abbottabad in an effort to get DNA from the bin Laden family. The Taliban subsequently announced a ban on immunization efforts and launched a string of deadly attacks on medical workers.

How the CIA Is Hurting the Fight Against Polio - Businessweek

U.S. intelligence officials have admitted they set up a fake vaccination campaign—but for hepatitis B, not polio. As it turns out, the campaign didn’t give any protection against the disease to young children in the town while it also failed to collect genetic material from the bin Laden family.

Shouldnt using things like as a "cover" be off-limits? Why do we get to paint a target on innocent people and then wipe our hands of the fall out?

Reactions: 2 people

Wonderer

May 2014
Missouri
I can understand the point of the cover, but why not actually provide the vaccination? (And why not collect the genetic material?)

Oct 2013
Sweden
I can understand the point of the cover, but why not actually provide the vaccination? (And why not collect the genetic material?)
The problem with using stuff like this as a cover is that it creates distrust, it makes targets of those who come to administer the vaccines......its not ok to jeopardize vaccination programs or make targets of the workers or immunization centers.

I also dont think its ok to collect peoples DNA without their knowledge, especially from children.....innocent people who are accused of nothing. By what right do we violate people this way and then run out and champion ourselves as those who respect human rights, democracy, protection of the innocent etc.

Wonderer

May 2014
Missouri
The problem with using stuff like this as a cover is that it creates distrust, it makes targets of those who come to administer the vaccines......its not ok to jeopardize vaccination programs or make targets of the workers or immunization centers.

I also dont think its ok to collect peoples DNA without their knowledge, especially from children.....innocent people who are accused of nothing. By what right do we violate people this way and then run out and champion ourselves as those who respect human rights, democracy, protection of the innocent etc.
I think we're making slightly different points - I'm not addressing the rightness (or wrongness) of such a program - I think you make very fair points on that - but rather, IF we were going to have such a program (wrong or right), why not actually do the things we purportedly set out to do?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

Its what we do unfortunately. Its no wonder those in poor countries in Africa and Asia don't trust us when we provide vaccinations. It also fuels the anti-vaccination crowd who already distrust us and the medical community.

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2013
Bay Area
I'm a big fan of the CIA's fake "democracy spreading" NGO''s. And the training of fascists. And...ah hell.....never mind.

Mar 2014
Central US
Did CIA?s Fake Polio Vaccination Program in Pakistan Help Fuel a Global Health Emergency? | Democracy Now!

Until recently, polio had been nearly eradicated, thanks to a 25-year campaign that vaccinated billions of children. In Pakistan, the increase in polio is being linked to a secret CIA ploy used in the hunt for Osama bin Laden. With the help of a Pakistani doctor, the CIA set up a fake vaccination campaign in the city of Abbottabad in an effort to get DNA from the bin Laden family. The Taliban subsequently announced a ban on immunization efforts and launched a string of deadly attacks on medical workers.

How the CIA Is Hurting the Fight Against Polio - Businessweek

U.S. intelligence officials have admitted they set up a fake vaccination campaign—but for hepatitis B, not polio. As it turns out, the campaign didn’t give any protection against the disease to young children in the town while it also failed to collect genetic material from the bin Laden family.

Shouldnt using things like as a "cover" be off-limits? Why do we get to paint a target on innocent people and then wipe our hands of the fall out?
So, in reality, the CIA had NOTHING TO DO WITH POLIO VACCINES.

Do you plan to admit that, at some point in this thread?

May 2012
By the wall
The world would be a safer place, and that's a fact. A few very rich old white men might not have as much money in the bank.
The CIA was not created to make the world a safer place. It was created to work on foreign soil to protect American interests and sovereignty.

Because of this they often have to play dirty, do things below the level of decency, its what their job is.

If the CIA did not exist the world would not be a safer place, the only difference is that our national security would be that much more vulnerable.