Cigarettes Could Reach $80 Per Pack In New Zealand

Dec 2007
NY
Cigarettes Could Reach $80 Per Pack In New Zealand
As part of an effort to make New Zealand a smoke-free nation by the year 2025, officials at the Ministry of Health have commissioned an economics forecasting firm to
model a variety of pricing scenarios showing how increasing the cost of cigarettes
would effect smoking prevalence, 3 News reports.
The modeling found that in order to achieve a population-wide smoking prevalence of 5 percent or less, New Zealand would have to institute a pricing plan that would the increase the cost of cigarettes to $100 NZD (about $80 USD) per pack by 2020 with price tags "increasing exponentially after that."

What a bunch of crazy nonsense. If people want to smoke, let them smoke. The government has no business touching the price of cigarettes or telling people how to treat their bodies. More nanny government telling people how to live. And watch what happens if they actually do this. Yay for black market cigarettes! Plenty of people in the US get busted every year for trying to cheat the system on cigs, and our price is nowhere near $80....
And I'm not even a smoker....

Last edited:
Reactions: One
Dec 2007
NY
They've probably realized that the health of their citizens is in the national interest and so discouraging a product known to CAUSE cancer would be a great benefit for all it's people. Freaking New Zealand is way ahead of us, unreal.
Oh shit? It causes cancer? OMGGGGG. WHAT A REVELATION. It's not like it says that on the pack or anything.

Did you know salted foods leader to higher rates of cancer? Let's ban salt! Red meat leads to higher cases of colon cancer. Let's change the price of steak to $100! Soda leads to higher chances of pancreatic cancer. Time to raise the price to $500 in that vending machine!

I'm going to start calling you Comrade Sparta. All in the name of "national interest".

What a bunch of nonsense. It's their body, they can do as they wish with it. The only thing that's unreal is someone supporting such nonsense. So much for liberty. And it's amazing that after all of the studies about prohibition, you people still can't get it through your little brains that it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Dec 2011
Seattle
They've probably realized that the health of their citizens is in the national interest and so discouraging a product known to CAUSE cancer would be a great benefit for all it's people. Freaking New Zealand is way ahead of us, unreal.
New Zealand healthcare is public-private, with about 80% cover by the government. So indeed, smoking is something they'd want to curb as best as they can. And their relative issolation makes that easier.

In the US or Canada, cigarettes at anywhere near that much would be a whole new war on illegal substances and a huge black market opportunity with ample borders to cross. I think we're doing the right thing with education and taxes that do drive the cost high enough to deter but not create too much criminal activity surrounding cigarettes.

We do have comparitively low smoking, on average, compared to Europe and elsewhere. So I think we're doing it right.

JMO

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Oh shit? It causes cancer? OMGGGGG. WHAT A REVELATION. It's not like it says that on the pack or anything.
I was not under the impression I was teaching anyone anything.

Did you know salted foods leader to higher rates of cancer? Let's ban salt! Red meat leads to higher cases of colon cancer. Let's change the price of steak to $100! Soda leads to higher chances of pancreatic cancer. Time to raise the price to $500 in that vending machine!
The slippary sloap argument is for people who don't think good. Just because cigarettes, which have zero purpose other than to addict you and kill you, are banned doesn't mean we should ban salt, which is fine in moderation.
I'm going to start calling you Comrade Sparta. All in the name of "national interest".
Oh no, sucks to be me I guess. I had one damn job to do (not get called Comrade Sparta) and I went and fucked it all up.

What a bunch of nonsense. It's their body, they can do as they wish with it. The only thing that's unreal is someone supporting such nonsense. So much for liberty.
Your liberty goes right up to the edge of my lawn, once you cross over you can't just pull your ass out and take a shit because then you'd be messing with my liberty.

Reactions: boontito
Dec 2007
NY
I was not under the impression I was teaching anyone anything.

The slippary sloap argument is for people who don't think good. Just because cigarettes, which have zero purpose other than to addict you and kill you, are banned doesn't mean we should ban salt, which is fine in moderation.

Oh no, sucks to be me I guess. I had one damn job to do (not get called Comrade Sparta) and I went and fucked it all up.

Your liberty goes right up to the edge of my lawn, once you cross over you can't just pull your ass out and take a shit because then you'd be messing with my liberty.
It isn't slippery slope, because I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm simply pointing out how ignorant your opinion is. Everything in this world is harmful to you. Hell, it only takes 2 sodas a week to increase your chances 80-90% of pancreatic cancer. Think about that. I wonder how many people in America and elsewhere consume that much? I do. But guess what? It's my body. It's my responsibility to deal with the consequences of my actions. Same as everyone else.
But I get it, in Comrade land, that's not acceptable. The state must provide you with everything. You're not a person. You can't make your own decisions. You have no personal responsibility. You're just there to do what the state tells you to do. You can only consume what the government says you can and has a hand in. Don't try thinking for yourself, that's wrong. Although in your case, that's probably a good idea. You might have an aneurysm.
Make the price $100. I'll be laughing at the crime it causes afterwards since you people are too damn ignorant to learn from history.

Me smoking is certainly not equivalent to shitting on your lawn. Although right about now, that sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: anonymous

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
. Everything in this world is harmful to you. .
No fuck that stupid argument. Everything in the world doesn't exist to create an addict out of you and kill you. Everything that does should be banned because it fucks with my ability to affordable healthcare which I have a right to. You lose.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
New Zealand healthcare is public-private, with about 80% cover by the government. So indeed, smoking is something they'd want to curb as best as they can. And their relative issolation makes that easier.

In the US or Canada, cigarettes at anywhere near that much would be a whole new war on illegal substances and a huge black market opportunity with ample borders to cross. I think we're doing the right thing with education and taxes that do drive the cost high enough to deter but not create too much criminal activity surrounding cigarettes.

We do have comparitively low smoking, on average, compared to Europe and elsewhere. So I think we're doing it right.

JMO
I think a black market would actually serve to soften cigarettes. But who knows?

Dangerous Chemicals Found In Smoking | LIVESTRONG.COM

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Koios the other thing I was thinking was by the time a black market for cigarettes became wide-spread and able to reach everyone, how maybe people do you think would be over it?