Cities sue oil companies.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Two California Cities Sue Oil Majors Over Climate Change

San Francisco, Oakland want oil firms to fund protective measures against global warming

By Alejandro Lazo and Bradley Olson

Sept. 20, 2017 7:43 p.m. ET

SAN FRANCISCO—Two Northern California cities filed separate lawsuits against five major oil companies Wednesday, asking state courts to force the companies to fund infrastructure the cities say is needed because of climate change.

The suits, filed by San Francisco and Oakland in state Superior Court, are among the first in which plaintiffs are seeking to force companies to pay for infrastructure to protect coastal cities from potential damages caused by rising sea levels. The cities are asking for the oil companies to pay...
This is all I can read of the story without subscribing but it's enough.

What a joke. Why not sue the car and truck manufacturers? Or power companies? Or factories?

Given my limited knowledge of tort law, and mine is mostly Canadian tort law, they don't have a chance.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/two-ca...aign=newsletter_axiosgenerate&stream=politics

May 2012
By the wall
Yeah this is a bit whacko.

Now had they demanded on infrastructure to prevent pollution I think they could get a lot further with it.

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
Do BIG OIL companies FORCE people to drive cars, trucks and buses in those two cities?

This is a silly lawsuit, and should be thrown out for lack of merit.

Instead, the cities, can simply place more taxes on a gallon of gas......OR, simply ban automobiles within the city limits. (Except for politicians, and other government officials, of course. Then NEED their vehicles. Because THEY are important people......)

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
This is known as Lawfare. it's an abuse of justice systems, taxpayers and consumers, and tort reform would put an end to it.