Cleveland Clusterfuck

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
You will NOT believe this one.

First, background: criminal charges are pending against 5 CPD supervisors as a result of a police riot that LITERALLY had EVERY cop car on the streets chasing a couple in a vehicle.

The cops drove across the city at speeds of 100 mph, at times, and finally cornered the vehicle in a school parking lot, whereupon they fired into the suspect vehicle 163 times, killing both occupants.

The officers who pulled the triggers have already been tried and acquitted.

Their supervisors back at the station houses have not.

The law director for the city of East Cleveland, Willa Hemmons, has offered to settle these criminal matters if the defendants pay $5,000 apiece.

The reaction around town has been harsh, from both police supporters and critics.

Hemmons' offer is being called "extortion", and that certainly is one legitimate POV.

Police critics are worried about the optics of resolving homicide charges against 5 cops without prison time, under such extreme circumstances.

I can't link! Please read the article "Fault on All Fronts", in Cleveland Scene magazine, which appeared in February, 2013.

For more information about Hemmons' offer this week, please see:

http://news5cleveland.com

Article entitled "East Cleveland Offers..... $5,000....."

It's just baffling to me, that there is LITERALLY nothing the CPD can do which motivates most area residents to object.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Very hard to attract attention to local corruption crimes in this atmosphere of international tension.

I understand.....but this type of criminal conduct does not stop on its own.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
To the OP, that sounds horrible, although there might be some mitigating factors that aren't noted.

A guy I went to high school with, was in a high speed chase, the initial report said pit maneuver, and I heard the morning news saying they lost him on a certain street and found his car flipped and he was killed.

The thing is, that street is a 20 block straight away. You can't lose someone on that strip.

Cops just didn't want to admit they killed him.

That scene would especially piss me off, with no cars anywhere, but the cop...

I just hate that the speed limit is based on cars average performance from the 80's, other than school zones, could pretty easily add 20% to most speed limits and be well within safety ability of the cars on the road today.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
To the OP, that sounds horrible, although there might be some mitigating factors that aren't noted.

A guy I went to high school with, was in a high speed chase, the initial report said pit maneuver, and I heard the morning news saying they lost him on a certain street and found his car flipped and he was killed.

The thing is, that street is a 20 block straight away. You can't lose someone on that strip.

Cops just didn't want to admit they killed him.

That scene would especially piss me off, with no cars anywhere, but the cop...

I just hate that the speed limit is based on cars average performance from the 80's, other than school zones, could pretty easily add 20% to most speed limits and be well within safety ability of the cars on the road today.
These events literally beggar belief. EVERY cop on duty chased this one car! Across town!

DOZENS of them, much worse than the chase scene in "Blues Brothers"!

That response endangered every person in Cleveland that night, and so far, nobody is liable. The acquittals of those cops who ACTUALLY shot this couple to death (I assume) was based on the idea that things had gone so FUBAR, and involved so many cops, that no individual cop could be responsible.

But these supervisors were insulated from the "mob mentality", back at the stationhouses. If they had done the right thing and ordered the cops on the street to stand down, these murders might not have happened.

Two UNARMED people killed. No fault at all can be attached to the passenger. And the driver's conduct was completely understandable. Obviously, he did have a reasonable fear of the cops. In any event, his vehicle was stopped when the cops killed him and his passenger by shooting into his car 163 times.

These supervisors need to go to prison. They are guilty, guilty, guilty of negligent homicide.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
I knew a guy in high school that happened to.

He ran from the cops and they did the pit-maneuver on him.

Except he was on a motorcycle.

Yeah ..... didn't work out so well for him.

And, of course the cop that initiated the maneuver kept going, leaving the follow up car to report that he'd crashed out.

That's the way it goes.

I had lots of friends that rode high powered sport bikes and did occasionally run from the cops.

The rule of thumb was if you were gonna run you'd better get away or you would most likely be killed.

This was well understood.

But, we're talking about people that risk their lives daily on 175+ HP street bikes.

As far as the two people in Cleveland go I'm gonna say suicide by cop or Darwin award.

You run from the cops to the point you have the entire department chasing you, WTH do you think is going to happen and if they didn't know then wrap that one up to another survival of the fittest.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
This case is over two years old and Cleveland has turned into a war zone since then. This is the skinny on what happened, a car backfired or a shot was fired in front of the police station, a chase resulted. The driver did not stop and later it was discovered that both people in the car had crack cocaine in their system and drug supplies were taken from the car. You can't allow people hopped up on crack to run amok in the streets endangering other people who live there. CPD is not responding like they used to crime and every day we see the result of it. Shootings happen every single day now. Over the weekend, a very affluent mall was placed on lock down, located in a heavily Jewish community. Beachwood used to be the safest mall around, until the criminals have taken it over. This isn't the first incident with Beachwood Mall and it is not the residents that are destroying it. I worry more about the idiocy that is happening here and now...not a case that has been resolved, two years ago.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...fter-st-patricks-day-shooting-one-person-shot

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
This case is over two years old and Cleveland has turned into a war zone since then. This is the skinny on what happened, a car backfired or a shot was fired in front of the police station, a chase resulted. The driver did not stop and later it was discovered that both people in the car had crack cocaine in their system and drug supplies were taken from the car. You can't allow people hopped up on crack to run amok in the streets endangering other people who live there. CPD is not responding like they used to crime and every day we see the result of it. Shootings happen every single day now. Over the weekend, a very affluent mall was placed on lock down, located in a heavily Jewish community. Beachwood used to be the safest mall around, until the criminals have taken it over. This isn't the first incident with Beachwood Mall and it is not the residents that are destroying it. I worry more about the idiocy that is happening here and now...not a case that has been resolved, two years ago.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...fter-st-patricks-day-shooting-one-person-shot
Thanks to Obama and Eric Holder, LEO's and citizens alike are much less safe.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I knew a guy in high school that happened to.

He ran from the cops and they did the pit-maneuver on him.

Except he was on a motorcycle.

Yeah ..... didn't work out so well for him.

And, of course the cop that initiated the maneuver kept going, leaving the follow up car to report that he'd crashed out.

That's the way it goes.

I had lots of friends that rode high powered sport bikes and did occasionally run from the cops.

The rule of thumb was if you were gonna run you'd better get away or you would most likely be killed.

This was well understood.

But, we're talking about people that risk their lives daily on 175+ HP street bikes.

As far as the two people in Cleveland go I'm gonna say suicide by cop or Darwin award.

You run from the cops to the point you have the entire department chasing you, WTH do you think is going to happen and if they didn't know then wrap that one up to another survival of the fittest.
The driver was under the influence of crack and it is unknown if a shot was fired or the car back fired. When a person is hopped up on crack, they don't make good decisions.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
The driver was under the influence of crack and it is unknown if a shot was fired or the car back fired. When a person is hopped up on crack, they don't make good decisions.
I don't usually sympathize with criminals.

It is what it is.