Climate Change Fearmongers Call for What They Wanted All Along

Mar 2019
Texas

I thought liberals were fighting to keep GOVERNMENT out of the bedroom.

Now they want GOVERNMENT deciding whether or not straight couples can procreate.

Is anyone surprised by this?

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Not at all.

If one liberal says a thing, you conflate that with all liberals saying the thing, whatever it is.

This same tired tactic is played out over and over again every day on Fox News.
Except ....

It's not Fox News .... and all Leftist do suffer from the same thing .... knowingly or not.

Sep 2019
Idaho
Not at all.

If one liberal says a thing, you conflate that with all liberals saying the thing, whatever it is.

Liberal types march in lockstep and lately they follow the most radical elements of the left. Just look at your presidential candidates and the gang of four that now runs the Congress.

Oct 2019
Earth
Not at all.

Sure, it's a generalization, but given the proportion of people that act as simple repeaters, it won't be that long before that becomes the common call. This happens on all sides.

Strange how it works:
- have fewer babies
- import the third world because not enough babies

Then all it takes is noticing the trend, suddenly they get labelled the trifecta: antiscience, hates the earth, and a racist supremacist.

Reactions: John T Ford

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Sure, it's a generalization, but given the proportion of people that act as simple repeaters, it won't be that long before that becomes the common call.
This kind of language could be used to justify any over-generalization or outright slander imaginable.

"Sure, this isn't what they believe, but it's only a matter of time."

Reactions: Marvin

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Here's What Actually Happened...

The video is a wildly distorted slant on what was actually said the the study, going on wild tangents, and the repeated use of hyperbolic language such as "apocalypse" and "eugenics."

What did the actual report say about population? I quote it below. Not an excerpt; no cherry picking. No spin, no angle, no bias. This is the section on population, word-for-word. And below the quote I provide the link to the entire report, should anyone want to factcheck me (which I wholeheartedly encourage).

Population
Still increasing by roughly 80 million people per year, or more than 200,000 per day (figure 1a–b), the world population must be stabilized—and, ideally, gradually reduced—within a framework that ensures social integrity. There are proven and effective policies that strengthen human rights while lowering fertility rates and lessening the impacts of population growth on GHG emissions and biodiversity loss. These policies make family-planning services available to all people, remove barriers to their access and achieve full gender equity, including primary and secondary education as a global norm for all, especially girls and young women (Bongaarts and O’Neill 2018).
Source - The actual study (select PDF, page 4), and not some stupid YouTube video.

In other words, the report says that population growth is a problem, and proposes not eugenics, but increasing the availability of family-planning services.

The bit about "proven and effective policies that strengthen human rights while lowering fertility rates and lessening the impacts of population growth." Yes, that sounds scary - unless you know how to read a scientific study. See add the end where it cites "Bongaarts and O’Neill 2018?" That's another study. I found it here.

This time I'm sharing an excerpt:

Population-related policies—such as offering voluntary family planning services as well as improved education for women and girls—can have many of the desirable characteristics of climate response options: benefits to both mitigation and adaptation, co-benefits with human well-being and other environmental issues, synergies with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and cost effectiveness. These policies can also enable women to achieve their desired family size, and lead to lower fertility and slower population growth (3). The resulting demographic changes can not only lessen the emissions that drive climate change but also improve the ability of populations to adapt to its consequences.
Again - they're not talking about forced sterilization. They're talking about family planning services.

Now with this objective summary in mind, watch the OP video, and see the utter bullshit for what it is.

YOUTUBE IS A TERRIBLE WAY TO OBTAIN SCIENTIFIC INFORMATION. SCIENTIFIC STUDIES ARE PUBLISHED ONLINE. FIND THEM AND READ THEM.

Last edited:
Oct 2019
Earth
This kind of language could be used to justify any over-generalization or outright slander imaginable.

"Sure, this isn't what they believe, but it's only a matter of time."

That was first page results searching "babies environment" (most of the rest were about baby wipes / diapers).

To show that the other side of the equation is being pushed in media.

All to show that my statement is not baseless, even though it is not so much common discourse, that's the direction we are being pushed towards.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I'm for population control and I'm not even a liberal.

I'd like about half of you to disappear, please.

Especially those who take up the whole isle in Kroger, because you just can't decide what soup you want this week.

There, I said it.

Oct 2019
Earth
Here's What Actually Happened...

The video is a wildly distorted slant on what was actually said the the study, going on wild tangents, and the repeated use of hyperbolic language such as "apocalypse" and "eugenics."

What did the actual report say about population? I quote it below. Not an excerpt; no cherry picking. No spin, no angle, no bias. This is the section on population, word-for-word. And below the quote I provide the link to the entire report, should anyone want to factcheck me (which I wholeheartedly encourage).

In other words, the report says that population growth is a problem, and proposes not eugenics, but increasing the availability of family-planning services. Now with this objective summary in mind, watch the OP video, and see the utter bullshit for what it is.

Source - The actual study (select PDF, page 4), and not some stupid YouTube video.
Umm, what you're describing here IS population control and eugenics.

As for population, there's not so much an overpopulation problem as much as overpopulation happens in certain regions because people tend to congregate into urban centers.

Take the US; 350+ million people and half that population lives in california, Texas, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Georgia and Florida.

Which puts the other half spread across 41 states. So, is the US overpopulated? Well, you might think so looking at the major metropolis cities, but spread across the whole, much less so.