CNN declares white robots to be racist

Mar 2019
On a drive-by

CNN

@CNN

Have you ever noticed the popularity of white robots? The reason for these shades of technological white may be racism, according to new research. https://cnn.it/2Kar2Df

Robot racism? Yes, says a study showing humans' biases extend to robots
There is a reason most human-shaped robots are white, say researchers. And the reason is not productive at all.
cnn.com

8:15 AM - Aug 1, 2019

I'm consistently amazed that a group of people sit in a room, look at subjects and articles like these, and go "yeah, we should publish this.

It is stories that these that just prove that CNN and the MSM in general is pretty useless.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I'm consistently amazed that a group of people sit in a room, look at subjects and articles like these, and go "yeah, we should publish this.

but, you just published it here .

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Actually they (researchers, not CNN) have a point. And it isn't that racist people make white robots, because of their racism.

The study is actually quite interesting.

"Robots And Racism," a study conducted by the Human Interface Technology Laboratory in New Zealand (HIT Lab NZ) and published by the country's University of Canterbury, suggests people perceive physically human-like robots to have a race and therefore apply racial stereotypes to white and black robots.
These colors have been found to trigger social cues that determine how humans react to and behave toward other people and also, apparently, robots.
"The bias against black robots is a result of bias against African-Americans," lead researcher Christoph Bartneck explained to The Next Web. He told CNN, "It is amazing to see how people who had no prior interaction with robots show racial bias towards them."
Here is the actual study - Robots and racism

The study both loosely produces evidence of empathy and evidence of apathy towards robots. Those 'feelings' could be along racial lines depending on the color of the robot.

I'm not sure how that is hard to fathom. It actually makes sense that say, a racist person who judges on skin color may just judge a robot on their skin color.

Whoda' thunk it?

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
IMO this is not a research project I would fund myself as it doesn't really achieve any landmark discovery.

Much like researching which sexual partners a north american male bird species prefers - they prefer female birds of the same species. Researchers will spend millions looking for answers just like this...

Dec 2018
Florida
Actually they (researchers, not CNN) have a point. And it isn't that racist people make white robots, because of their racism.

The study is actually quite interesting.

Here is the actual study - Robots and racism

The study both loosely produces evidence of empathy and evidence of apathy towards robots. Those 'feelings' could be along racial lines depending on the color of the robot.

I'm not sure how that is hard to fathom. It actually makes sense that say, a racist person who judges on skin color may just judge a robot on their skin color.

Whoda' thunk it?
It is an object. A white object can look very sleek and modern, but also not...”edgy.”

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.

CNN
@CNN

Have you ever noticed the popularity of white robots? The reason for these shades of technological white may be racism, according to new research. https://cnn.it/2Kar2Df

Robot racism? Yes, says a study showing humans' biases extend to robots
There is a reason most human-shaped robots are white, say researchers. And the reason is not productive at all.
cnn.com

8:15 AM - Aug 1, 2019

It is stories that these that just prove that CNN and the MSM in general is pretty useless.
And most here would never have known this "report of a study if you had not posted it. A thank you card from CNN is on the way to you.