CNN's April Ryan has bodyguard eject local journalist: 'When I speak, I don’t have news covering my speech'

Mar 2019
On a drive-by
Charlie Kratovil, editor of New Brunswick Today, was on hand to cover a speech given by Ryan at the 4th annual New Jersey Parent Summit, which focuses on "educating, empowering and preparing parents for our future leaders," on Aug. 3 at The Heldrich Hotel.

After covering the event for roughly three hours "without incident," Kratovil he was approached by a man, who he said he later found out was Ryan's security guard Joel Morris.

Kratovil said that Morris threatened to "take... down" the camera if he himself didn't and the public relations team began "pressuring" Kratovil to stop recording all while, ironically, Payne was praising the American Urban Radio Networks reporter for her "Freedom of the Press" award she received.
Morris appears to approach Ryan as she was speaking at the podium and whispered something to her. She nods and then pauses for almost 30 seconds until Morris grabs Kratovil's camera equipment and tripod and walks out of the ballroom.

“Don’t touch my camera, please. Put that down. Don’t you dare. Put that down, sir," Kratovil told the bodyguard as he followed him out of the room.

The two men then enter the lobby, where Kratovil is berated by Shennell McCloud, executive director of Project Ready, the group that hosted the event. McCloud accuses Kratovil of "interrupting" the event and demands his removal from the hotel.

Security camera footage from the hotel lobby shows Morris forcibly pushing Kratovil toward the exit.

CNN's April Ryan after bodyguard ejects local journalist: 'When I speak, I don’t have news covering my speech'

Strike 3 for CNN Hosts this week

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Is Brian Stelter going to do a segment on this? Is Jim Acosta going to fret about how dangerous it is to be a journalist in America?

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Is Brian Stelter going to do a segment on this? Is Jim Acosta going to fret about how dangerous it is to be a journalist in America?
New Brunswick is barely even Canada, but it's certainly not....

+edit
Wait....

Is there another New Brunswick?

Sorry.... As you were.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
lol She is like Russian politician, LDPR party leader, crazy nationalist, Vladimir Zhirinovsky; that one also has a habit of having his bodyguards throw out folks he runs into disagreements with on TV shows and such:
:D

P.S. BarKnuckles ain't alone. I also thought initially this happened in Canada lmao

Last edited: