CO school shooting vigil: Student walk out and chant "Mental health"

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The event Wednesday was primarily billed as a vigil to honor Kendrick Castillo, who was fatally shot in a rampage by two students at the STEM school here. Speakers at the school's packed gymnasium, however, were mostly politicians and advocates pressing Congress for more restrictive gun laws.

After about 30 minutes, hundreds of students from the STEM School stormed out yelling "this is not for us," "political stunt" and "we are people, not a statement."

Wednesday night, the traumatized shooting survivors who exited the rally thrust lighted cellphones into the air and chanted "mental health, mental health," as their hands and voices shook in the cold rain. Angry students pushed and screamed at journalists, demanding to see photos they had taken.

Interview requests made by a USA TODAY reporter were rebuffed; multiple students said they had agreed not to talk to journalists.

Students walk out of Colorado school shooting vigil, saying their trauma was being politicized

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Yeah, that's quite a statement.

I'm leaning more and more toward a kind of ruthlessly pragmatic approach to this, because people keep dying and we've had no success in tackling that problem. The sum of views is, whether you are an NRA person or a Moms Demand Action person, or a politician or a local community leader, you have to be willing to enact policy that will make a difference.

If your first reaction to a school shooting is to propose policies that A) probably won't hold up in court and B) will be fought tooth and nail by the other side such that any enactment of them is likely short-lived, you need to shut up and step aside for those who are ready to get serious about this. I am speaking of "let's arm the teachers" and "categorically ban guns" folks in equal measure.

There has got to be a way to come to grips with this that actually involves SOLUTIONS we can REALIZE, so children stop DYING. The time for impassioned debate is over. We have spent far too much time on that. There is no more time. Get something done.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
The event Wednesday was primarily billed as a vigil to honor Kendrick Castillo, who was fatally shot in a rampage by two students at the STEM school here. Speakers at the school's packed gymnasium, however, were mostly politicians and advocates pressing Congress for more restrictive gun laws.

After about 30 minutes, hundreds of students from the STEM School stormed out yelling "this is not for us," "political stunt" and "we are people, not a statement."

Wednesday night, the traumatized shooting survivors who exited the rally thrust lighted cellphones into the air and chanted "mental health, mental health," as their hands and voices shook in the cold rain. Angry students pushed and screamed at journalists, demanding to see photos they had taken.

Interview requests made by a USA TODAY reporter were rebuffed; multiple students said they had agreed not to talk to journalists.

Students walk out of Colorado school shooting vigil, saying their trauma was being politicized
The Left nevers sees "people" ....

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Grow the fuck up. Kids are dying from murderous rampages, and you drag in partisan hatred. You apparently have nothing serious to contribute, here. @Singularity is right, and you are part of the problem.
I didn't drag in shit ....

I just agreed with the content in the article in the OP.

Grow the fuck up.

May 2012
By the wall
Actually it was those on the left that turned a thoughtful vigil into nothing more than an opportunity to push for more gun control.

They didn't care about the victims, only the opportunity to push their agenda.

In case you didn't notice, this is why the students walked out in disgust.

Now maybe you want to call all the students Nazi Trump supporters but they were there to pay their respects not to listen to lefties telling us how stripping law abiding citizens of weapons is going to stop criminal behavior.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

The nation is getting fed up with your attacking the second amendment and we are turning our backs on you.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Yeah, that's quite a statement.

I'm leaning more and more toward a kind of ruthlessly pragmatic approach to this, because people keep dying and we've had no success in tackling that problem. The sum of views is, whether you are an NRA person or a Moms Demand Action person, or a politician or a local community leader, you have to be willing to enact policy that will make a difference.

If your first reaction to a school shooting is to propose policies that A) probably won't hold up in court and B) will be fought tooth and nail by the other side such that any enactment of them is likely short-lived, you need to shut up and step aside for those who are ready to get serious about this. I am speaking of "let's arm the teachers" and "categorically ban guns" folks in equal measure.

There has got to be a way to come to grips with this that actually involves SOLUTIONS we can REALIZE, so children stop DYING. The time for impassioned debate is over. We have spent far too much time on that. There is no more time. Get something done.
The kids are the ones on the front lines each day. They know each and every one of these students better than anyone else. I was stunned how some I know would say things like "yea that guy is nuts, he kills cats, some day he is going to shoot up the school." They know the dirty details on behaviors that often are hidden from parents. I think it would be important to hear from them, they know many of these kids are struggling with issues or mental health they may keep hidden.