CO school shooting vigil: Student walk out and chant "Mental health"

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
Yeah, that's quite a statement.

I'm leaning more and more toward a kind of ruthlessly pragmatic approach to this, because people keep dying and we've had no success in tackling that problem. The sum of views is, whether you are an NRA person or a Moms Demand Action person, or a politician or a local community leader, you have to be willing to enact policy that will make a difference.

If your first reaction to a school shooting is to propose policies that A) probably won't hold up in court and B) will be fought tooth and nail by the other side such that any enactment of them is likely short-lived, you need to shut up and step aside for those who are ready to get serious about this. I am speaking of "let's arm the teachers" and "categorically ban guns" folks in equal measure.

There has got to be a way to come to grips with this that actually involves SOLUTIONS we can REALIZE, so children stop DYING. The time for impassioned debate is over. We have spent far too much time on that. There is no more time. Get something done.

Like the students said... "mental health" almost every one of these shooters is on some psycho active drug that includes side effects such as "mania" "homicidal ideations", and "suicidal thoughts"

None of you people want to talk about it. The same way none of you people want to address 99% of the problem. illegal guns in big cities.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Like the students said... "mental health" almost every one of these shooters is on some psycho active drug that includes side effects such as "mania" "homicidal ideations", and "suicidal thoughts"

None of you people want to talk about it. The same way none of you people want to address 99% of the problem. illegal guns in big cities.
I listened to one of the students in CO and she kept saying "we already have gun laws to prevent this sort of thing (he was underage) but it didnt stop it, we need to address mental health. He was sick and needed help." It really stunned me.

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
I listened to one of the students in CO and she kept saying "we already have gun laws to prevent this sort of thing (he was underage) but it didnt stop it, we need to address mental health. He was sick and needed help." It really stunned me.

Kids are smart, they know this, they also know that "psycho johnny who tortures and kills stray cats" is going to snap one day, and gun or no gun somones gonna get hurt. They know it's a mental health issue. The teachers, and the politicians don't want to hear it.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Kids are smart, they know this, they also know that "psycho johnny who tortures and kills stray cats" is going to snap one day, and gun or no gun somones gonna get hurt.
Exactly, I just dont know what to do about it though. I mean some sort of anonymous thing to the school admin might work but there would be all sorts of legal and medical privacy rights to be concerned about. But there has to be some sort of way to communicate that "so and so is in need of serious help."

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Kids are smart, they know this, they also know that "psycho johnny who tortures and kills stray cats" is going to snap one day, and gun or no gun somones gonna get hurt. They know it's a mental health issue. The teachers, and the politicians don't want to hear it.
These kids actually know the shooters in most of these shootings. They go to school with them and interact with them. This is something the American citizens and our politicians don't realize. I wonder if teens will become more aware and start looking at each other differently. I know I look at teens differently since the epidemic of school shootings. I notice every little thing now. I know a lady who went to high school with a local serial killer, Anthony Sowell and she said he was a raging lunatic all through high school but no one really thought anything about it....until he murdered 11 women and left them to rot for years in his own home. This could be the proactive that we are looking for. I feel bad for these kids, they should really just focus on having fun, not worrying about whether a classmate is going to snap one day.

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
These kids actually know the shooters in most of these shootings. They go to school with them and interact with them. This is something the American citizens and our politicians don't realize. I wonder if teens will become more aware and start looking at each other differently. I know I look at teens differently since the epidemic of school shootings. I notice every little thing now. I know a lady who went to high school with a local serial killer, Anthony Sowell and she said he was a raging lunatic all through high school but no one really thought anything about it....until he murdered 11 women and left them to rot for years in his own home. This could be the proactive that we are looking for. I feel bad for these kids, they should really just focus on having fun, not worrying about whether a classmate is going to snap one day.
And in the case of hogg and gonzalez, often bullied and ostracized their shooter before the shooting so they aren't all innocent either. that said. I think education of students to report these kids if they feel they are a threat should be included.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
And in the case of hogg and gonzalez, often bullied and ostracized their shooter before the shooting so they aren't all innocent either. that said. I think education of students to report these kids if they feel they are a threat should be included.
I agree....but we also need to education their parents. Too many parents keep their heads in the sand when it comes to their children. Kind of like "not my baby, never!! " I see it all the time...some parents tend to blame everyone else instead of their child when something is not going well...such as grades or behavior.

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
I agree....but we also need to education their parents. Too many parents keep their heads in the sand when it comes to their children. Kind of like "not my baby, never!! " I see it all the time...some parents tend to blame everyone else instead of their child when something is not going well...such as grades or behavior.

Agreed, there is so much more to do before we get to "lets ban guns" to address this problem. but it always kills me here we are again talking about less than 1% of all shootings, yet we never talk about how to stop most shootings which happen with illegal guns, in our cities. That's where the focus should be if we want to address the problem of gun violence in this country.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Agreed, there is so much more to do before we get to "lets ban guns" to address this problem. but it always kills me here we are again talking about less than 1% of all shootings, yet we never talk about how to stop most shootings which happen with illegal guns, in our cities. That's where the focus should be if we want to address the problem of gun violence in this country.
We have always had gun violence in our cities....we just didn't care as a Nation because the violence was contained to one area. Now, since it has rolled up on the manicured lawns of suburbia....it is now a issue. I am not sure how we can address illegal gun ownership. We don't even have a true count of how many there are at this point. Combine that with the Dark Net and we have allowed this issue to become a big festering MRSA sore. We also fight against anything that we feel interferes with our personal rights such as Stop and Frisk for example. Some have reported that it worked while some statistics said it had no affect. Which is it? Did or work or not? We have a lot of contradicting opinions on a lot of solutions and never can meet in the middle on any of them.