CO school shooting vigil: Student walk out and chant "Mental health"

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
We have always had gun violence in our cities....we just didn't care as a Nation because the violence was contained to one area. Now, since it has rolled up on the manicured lawns of suburbia....it is now a issue. I am not sure how we can address illegal gun ownership. We don't even have a true count of how many there are at this point. Combine that with the Dark Net and we have allowed this issue to become a big festering MRSA sore. We also fight against anything that we feel interferes with our personal rights such as Stop and Frisk for example. Some have reported that it worked while some statistics said it had no affect. Which is it? Did or work or not? We have a lot of contradicting opinions on a lot of solutions and never can meet in the middle on any of them.

I think the solution is harsh but easy....

1. Change the laws so if you are caught with an illegal gun 15 years, no parole no plea barganing. get caught committing a crime with a gun, legal or otherwise 25 additional years, no parole, no plea barganing. Make the punishment a true detterent.

2. Change the culture of violence. This has to happen within the communities.

we would cut "gun violence" in half in a month if we did #1.

Stop and frisk worked, but it's unconstitutional.

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
A master's degree doesn't preclude you from perpetuating anti-psychiatry conspiracy theories. Name any drug that causes homicidal ideation or mania.

I am pro psychiatry, I am also able to read peer reviewed journals, as well as see patterns and indications of issues regarding certain anti-depressants and other medications. Some of these medications say, may cause "homicidal ideations" and or "suicidal thoughts", almost all of these shooters were on one of these medications.

I am not for banning these medications at all, they are in many cases useful, there are times when they can be deadly for others.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I am pro psychiatry, I am also able to read peer reviewed journals, as well as see patterns and indications of issues regarding certain anti-depressants and other medications. Some of these medications say, may cause "homicidal ideations" and or "suicidal thoughts", almost all of these shooters were on one of these medications.

I am not for banning these medications at all, they are in many cases useful, there are times when they can be deadly for others.
I'm not really interested in what you claim to be able to read when what you're doing here is perpetuating extremely broad, sweeping misconceptions about psychiatric medication in general, as well as unsupported claims about what "these shooters" were allegedly taking (if anything), while providing no evidence whatsoever for any of it. You are being extremely non-specific and making something that as far as I know is extremely rare sound like something that is extremely common, which anyone who alleges to be pro-psychiatry definitely should not be doing.

How many psychiatric drugs are there, and of them, how many have actually been shown by any clinical evidence to literally cause homicidal ideation or mania? Just name them. You are the one making the claim. Support it. Which psychiatric drug(s) are these, and where's the evidence they cause the side effects you mention in any remotely statistically significant way?

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
Yeah, that's quite a statement.

I'm leaning more and more toward a kind of ruthlessly pragmatic approach to this, because people keep dying and we've had no success in tackling that problem. The sum of views is, whether you are an NRA person or a Moms Demand Action person, or a politician or a local community leader, you have to be willing to enact policy that will make a difference.

If your first reaction to a school shooting is to propose policies that A) probably won't hold up in court and B) will be fought tooth and nail by the other side such that any enactment of them is likely short-lived, you need to shut up and step aside for those who are ready to get serious about this. I am speaking of "let's arm the teachers" and "categorically ban guns" folks in equal measure.

There has got to be a way to come to grips with this that actually involves SOLUTIONS we can REALIZE, so children stop DYING. The time for impassioned debate is over. We have spent far too much time on that. There is no more time. Get something done.
Guns > Kids. Always have been, always will be.

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
A master's degree doesn't preclude you from reading and buying into bullshit, or perpetuating anti-psychiatry conspiracy theories. Name any psychiatric drug that causes homicidal ideation or mania, and cite the research that verifies such claims.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=6emY6b7OJlwJ

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=QvJWMUks55IJ

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=phPxqLumS9EJ

Prescription Drugs Associated with Reports of Violence Towards Others

I can keep going.

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
I'm not really interested in what you claim to be able to read when what you're doing here is perpetuating extremely broad, sweeping misconceptions about psychiatric medication in general, as well as unsupported claims about what "these shooters" were allegedly taking (if anything), while providing no evidence whatsoever for any of it. You are being extremely non-specific and making something that as far as I know is extremely rare sound like something that is extremely common, which anyone who alleges to be pro-psychiatry definitely should not be doing.

How many psychiatric drugs are there, and of them, how many have actually been shown by any clinical evidence to literally cause homicidal ideation or mania? Just name them. You are the one making the claim. Support it. Which psychiatric drug(s) are these, and where's the evidence they cause the side effects you mention in any remotely statistically significant way?

Ill be happy to get granular again of youd like, let me see if i can find the last time i discussed this when i get back to my office....

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”

Specific to the drugs you asked about:

Prescription Drugs Associated with Reports of Violence Towards Others

Peer reviewed.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Ill be happy to get granular again of youd like, let me see if i can find the last time i discussed this when i get back to my office....
These aren't demonstrating causality, by authors' own admission. People taking medication for mental illness tend to have mental illness, and mental illness tends to be associated with cognitive and behavioral disturbances and functional impairments. This is a weak link in search of a cause.