CO school shooting vigil: Student walk out and chant "Mental health"

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
These aren't demonstrating causality, by authors' own admission. People taking medication for mental illness tend to have mental illness, and mental illness tends to be associated with cognitive and behavioral disturbances and functional impairments. This is a weak link in search of a cause.

wait wait wait, did you think I was calling for these bannings or that the drugs themselves caused the "sucidal and homicidal" thoughts?

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
wait wait wait, did you think I was calling for these bannings or that the drugs themselves caused the "sucidal and homicidal" thoughts?
Not necessarily, but I did think you were scapegoating medication as a significant causal factor in shootings.

Also, which drug(s) have homicidal ideation as a known side effect?

Last edited:

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
1. Change the laws so if you are caught with an illegal gun 15 years, no parole no plea barganing.
A mandatory minimum of 15 years for possessing an illegal gun is severely disproportionate, and probably violates the 8th Amendment. So would, in such a circumstance, no parole. And to eliminate "plea bargaining" merely means more cases go to trial, placing a burden on judicial resources.
get caught committing a crime with a gun, legal or otherwise 25 additional years, no parole, no plea barganing. Make the punishment a true detterent.
This one is different than the other one, as it makes the fact of committing the crime with a gun an aggravating factor for sentencing purposes. An additional 25 years might be disproportionate, but some additional time is arguably warranted without violating the 8th Amendment.
Stop and frisk worked, but it's unconstitutional.
Would that it were.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
A mandatory minimum of 15 years for possessing an illegal gun is severely disproportionate, and probably violates the 8th Amendment. So would, in such a circumstance, no parole. And to eliminate "plea bargaining" merely means more cases go to trial, placing a burden on judicial resources.
Is it though? If you look at the deaths and violence with illegal guns, the slaughter to me would indicate owning such an illegal piece of equipment.

There is alread a 5 year minimum on the federal level,
https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/...s/2018/20180315_Firearms-Mand-Min.pdf#page=13

and if its a full auto you can get:

Hell federalis already have a form of this, I say make the states enact similar (as best you can make states), and increase the penalties. and no, if it's an illegal gun increase these penalties.

This one is different than the other one, as it makes the fact of committing the crime with a gun an aggravating factor for sentencing purposes. An additional 25 years might be disproportionate, but some additional time is arguably warranted without violating the 8th Amendment.

Would that it were.
How much Jail Time do you get for Federal Gun Charges?

Federalis have some of this, how about double it? Lets make it equal to the horror it is.

Let me ask you, which would be more successful, banning "assault rifles" or making prison time for an illegal gun so large that it becomes a deterrent?

Oh and to unburden the legal system, legalize drugs and do not prosecute non-violent drug offenders.

Apr 2014
Maryland
Actually it was those on the left that turned a thoughtful vigil into nothing more than an opportunity to push for more gun control.

They didn't care about the victims, only the opportunity to push their agenda.

In case you didn't notice, this is why the students walked out in disgust.

Now maybe you want to call all the students Nazi Trump supporters but they were there to pay their respects not to listen to lefties telling us how stripping law abiding citizens of weapons is going to stop criminal behavior.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

The nation is getting fed up with your attacking the second amendment and we are turning our backs on you.
You keep fighting for more guns, we love our kids more than guns.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
For merely owning an illegal gun? I would think so.
Let me ask you, which would be more successful, banning "assault rifles" or making prison time for an illegal gun so large that it becomes a deterrent?
I think neither would be very successful. I have no objection to prison time for illegal weapons per se, but a 15-year mandatory minimum is a bit much. (And I am not so ok with mandatory minimums, anyway.)
Oh and to unburden the legal system, legalize drugs and do not prosecute non-violent drug offenders.
I am on board, there. And those who are in jail or prison for non-violent drug offenses should, in general be released immediately with no post-prison supervision (i.e., parole) to deal with.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
For merely owning an illegal gun? I would think so.
I disagree, given the homicide rate with illegal guns, it's the answer. because outlawing guns wont stop illegal guns which are most of our gun crimes.

I think neither would be very successful. I have no objection to prison time for illegal weapons per se, but a 15-year mandatory minimum is a bit much. (And I am not so ok with mandatory minimums, anyway.)
Neither am I ok with mandatory minimums, however to stop gun violence we have to make it a REAL detterent to decide to commit a crime or shoot someone with an illegal gun.

That is the ONLY way we reduce our gun violence statistics.

I am on board, there. And those who are in jail or prison for non-violent drug offenses should, in general be released immediately with no post-prison supervision (i.e., parole) to deal with.

Agreed...