Collapse of the Republican party

Jan 2016
Colorado
“Now, there’s one thing you might have noticed I don’t complain about: politicians. Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says they suck. Well, where do people think these politicians come from? They don’t fall out of the sky. They don’t pass through a membrane from another reality. They come from American parents and American families, American homes, American schools, American churches, American businesses and American universities, and they are elected by American citizens. This is the best we can do folks. This is what we have to offer. It’s what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out. If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you’re going to get selfish, ignorant leaders. Term limits ain’t going to do any good; you’re just going to end up with a brand new bunch of selfish, ignorant Americans. So, maybe, maybe, maybe, it’s not the politicians who suck. Maybe something else sucks around here… like, the public. Yeah, the public sucks. There’s a nice campaign slogan for somebody: ‘The Public Sucks. F*ck Hope.” George Carlin
George Carlin was a great truth-teller. GOD, we need more people like him around.

This applies, you know, to our trade deficit. It is SO easy for a demagogue like Donald Trump to BLAME the trade deficit on foreigners. Blame it on them dadburned furriners, with all of their UNFAIR trading practices!

We're not going to get politicians telling the TRUTH, standing up in front of a crowd of American voters, and saying the blame for the trade deficit is on YOU, and YOU, and YOU, and YOU, while pointing fingers at random folks in the crowd. My goodness, that would not get him any votes!!

But that would be the truth! America has a trade deficit because we are a nation that spends beyond its means. Duh! We have a trade deficit because we are a nation of spend-thrifts. Duh! We have a trade deficit because we are a very low-saving nation. Duh!

But hey, let's blame foreigners! That's a lot more FUN, and a lot EASIER!!

Sep 2013
On a hill
The Naked Ape was the title of an excellent book by the zoologist Desmond Morris that came out in 1967. He was looking at the human species from the perspective of a zoologist. Many of our more backward American communities tried to ban the book. Darwinism, you know.

You are quite right about the importance of cooperation in the success of the human species. The paradox of humanity is that we are, at once, BOTH the most competitive AND the most cooperative of all animals. And our own species, Homo sapiens, was the super-cooperator, and this was probably why we succeeded in replacing our many rival hominid species that existed in this world as recently as 40,000 years ago: the Neanderthals, the Denisovans, the hobbits of Flores Island, and some other mystery species that are only now coming to light through genetic analysis. There was a very interesting article about this in Scientific American maybe a year or two ago that I could dig up, if interested....

The Naked Ape - Wikipedia
Yes, please. That sounds interesting.

"The Naked Ape", and "Man Makes Himself" were two of my favorite books way back when.

Sep 2013
On a hill
George Carlin was a great truth-teller. GOD, we need more people like him around.

This applies, you know, to our trade deficit. It is SO easy for a demagogue like Donald Trump to BLAME the trade deficit on foreigners. Blame it on them dadburned furriners, with all of their UNFAIR trading practices!

We're not going to get politicians telling the TRUTH, standing up in front of a crowd of American voters, and saying the blame for the trade deficit is on YOU, and YOU, and YOU, and YOU, while pointing fingers at random folks in the crowd. My goodness, that would not get him any votes!!

But that would be the truth! America has a trade deficit because we are a nation that spends beyond its means. Duh! We have a trade deficit because we are a nation of spend-thrifts. Duh! We have a trade deficit because we are a very low-saving nation. Duh!

But hey, let's blame foreigners! That's a lot more FUN, and a lot EASIER!!
Isnt it funny how the party of personal responsibility blames everyone else?

Jan 2016
Colorado
Yes, please. That sounds interesting.

"The Naked Ape", and "Man Makes Himself" were two of my favorite books way back when.
Here it is:

http://www.phrenicea.com/ScientificAmericanMarean082015.pdf

An excerpt:
We modern humans cooperate to an extraordinary degree. We engage in highly complex coordinated group activities with people who are not kin to us and who may even be complete strangers. Imagine, in a scenario suggested by anthropologist Sarah Blaffer Hrdy of the University of California, Davis, in her 2009 book Mothers and Others, a couple of hundred chimps lining up, getting on a plane, sitting for hours extremely passively and then exiting like robots on cue. It would be unthinkable—they would battle one another nonstop. But our cooperative nature cuts both ways. The same species that leaps to the defense of a persecuted stranger will also team up with unrelated individuals to wage war on another group and show no mercy to the competition. Many of my colleagues and I think that this proclivity for collaboration—what I call hyper-prosociality—is not a learned tendency but instead a genetically encoded trait found only in H. sapiens. Some other animals may show glimmers of it, but what modern humans possess is different in kind.

Sep 2013
On a hill
Here it is:

An excerpt:
We modern humans cooperate to an extraordinary degree. We engage in highly complex coordinated group activities with people who are not kin to us and who may even be complete strangers. Imagine, in a scenario suggested by anthropologist Sarah Blaffer Hrdy of the University of California, Davis, in her 2009 book Mothers and Others, a couple of hundred chimps lining up, getting on a plane, sitting for hours extremely passively and then exiting like robots on cue. It would be unthinkable—they would battle one another nonstop. But our cooperative nature cuts both ways. The same species that leaps to the defense of a persecuted stranger will also team up with unrelated individuals to wage war on another group and show no mercy to the competition. Many of my colleagues and I think that this proclivity for collaboration—what I call hyper-prosociality—is not a learned tendency but instead a genetically encoded trait found only in H. sapiens. Some other animals may show glimmers of it, but what modern humans possess is different in kind.
Looking forward to reading that - thank you.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Here it is:

An excerpt:
This makes me think of the famous opening scene in 2001..

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Saw that movie in Denver on a weekend pass, it was showing in Cinerama, and only one theater in Denver had the capability. Mind blowing stuff in 1968

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Well... The GOP had 17 choices. Trump wasn't an accident or the lesser of two evils. He was first proactively chosen as who the Republican Party wanted to represent both them and what they stand for.
The point being that the Republicans picked their candidate, not "We, the People", just like the Democrats picked/bought their candidate. Do you really hold the Republicans to a higher standard than the Democrats?

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
The point being that the Republicans picked their candidate, not "We, the People", just like the Democrats picked/bought their candidate. Do you really hold the Republicans to a higher standard than the Democrats?
Not at all. That was the point. Both parties picked their candidates. But there's been a whole lot of excuse making going on from the right regarding Trump. Minimizing their role as if he's the accidental president. Downplaying it as if, hey, what could we do? It was him or Hillary. Completely trying to distract from and avoid any personal responsibility coming from him being the exact guy they nominated... purposefully chose over 16 other candidates. Both parties nominated EXACTLY who they wanted. Any lesser of two evils argument is bunk.

Apr 2018
oregon
Yep, the "collapsed" repub party gained seats and retained control in the senate, controls the White House, and is stacking the SCOTUS with conservative justices. Oh, the horror! Whatever shall we do??!!?
:lol::lol::lol: