Collapse of the Republican party

May 2012
By the wall
I've observed the Republican party from it's heyday in the 1960s with Barry "Mr. Conservative" Goldwater. I joined it at 18 in the early 1970s and watched it's slow downfall in the mid-80s when the Christian Coalition was allowed a major seat at the table (note Goldwater's remarks about it in his 1981 Congressional speech). The mid-1990s was a watershed toward it's collapse under Gingrich. The Neo-Cons added a few more nails in the coffin when they took power in 2000. The final collapse was with the election of Trump. I doubt any Republican who as sold their soul to Trump can ever recover. Those that didn't sell their souls are gone; either retiring, refusing to seek reelection or just dead.

This tweet by Lindsey Graham epitomizes both the recognition of the traditional Republican party on Trump and how it no longer exists just two years later:

If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed.......and we will deserve it.

Graham was correct, but also a sellout of Republican values by selling his soul to be under Trump's grace.

As the French lawyer and philosopher Joseph de Maistre once wrote:
Every nation gets the government it deserves.

America can save itself or continue to wallow in it's current mess. It's up to us, We, the People, to choose our own destiny.
Care to explain to us how they keep winning if it's been collapsing for so long?

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I've observed the Republican party from it's heyday in the 1960s with Barry "Mr. Conservative" Goldwater. I joined it at 18 in the early 1970s and watched it's slow downfall in the mid-80s when the Christian Coalition was allowed a major seat at the table (note Goldwater's remarks about it in his 1981 Congressional speech). The mid-1990s was a watershed toward it's collapse under Gingrich. The Neo-Cons added a few more nails in the coffin when they took power in 2000. The final collapse was with the election of Trump. I doubt any Republican who as sold their soul to Trump can ever recover. Those that didn't sell their souls are gone; either retiring, refusing to seek reelection or just dead.

This tweet by Lindsey Graham epitomizes both the recognition of the traditional Republican party on Trump and how it no longer exists just two years later:

Graham was correct, but also a sellout of Republican values by selling his soul to be under Trump's grace.

America can save itself or continue to wallow in it's current mess. It's up to us, We, the People, to choose our own destiny.
That is almost funny, considering Lindsey’s actions of late. Someone asked if Trump had Lindsey’s blue dress. After the golf game with Trump Graham did a 180.

Dec 2018
Florida

:eye roll:

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Only problem with that flawed kind of thinking is collectivism has brought us nothing but disaster. America was founded on the idea that the individual is paramount over any collectivist claptrap.
It makes me as an American so proud to see Trump and you kissing lil Kim's ass.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
We came together as a nation and kicked the shit out of both the Nazis and Japanese. There is something to be said for "collectivism" but as stated, it's a balance between that and individualism. Balancing the needs of the many against the needs of the one.
With Trump there is only the needs of the one.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
It wasn't Party leaders who chose Trump, but it was the majority of the Republicans base, who were tired of business as usual. Trump appeals to blue collar workers, middle America, and all those Americans, even Democrats, who wanted to see the country go in a more conservative direction.
For Republicans there is only one issue, tax cuts for the rich. Everything else is only a little bit of red meat for idiots. T

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Care to explain to us how they keep winning if it's been collapsing for so long?
You call 8 years of Clinton and 8 years of Obama "winning" What do you call "losing"? Being dead?

If Trump loses in 2020, will you call that "winning" too?

A mistake political extremists from both sides make is claiming that winning an election, even with only 46.1% of the vote like Trump in 2016, is a "mandate" by the American voters. Although I refused to vote for either deplorable, most people vote for one of the two options that is most likely to win. IMO, many Trump voters were voting more against Hillary than for Trump. Would you disagree that Hillary was one of the most hated politicians of our time?