College Student Wins Right to Talk about Jesus and the Bible in Graduation Speech

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
I think if you're going to let Christians proselytize
Commencement speech - Wikipedia

A commencement speech is less bound by the structure found in other forms of public address, like eulogies or wedding speeches. The speaker accordingly enjoys a unique freedom to express him or herself. Executive speechwriter Anthony Trendl writes

A commencement speech, simply, is an opportunity to share your experience, values and advice. The precise form is up to you. This affords the speaker a platform to say amazing, unlimited things.[1]
You can claim it as 'proselytizing' but everyone else understands it as personal experience, values and advice.

during graduation speeches, you should let those who practice other religions do the same.
That is the general idea -- the person who graduates with the highest honor gets to speak about his or her own personal experience, values and advice.

Nov 2018
U.S
The way I see it is that students should be allowed to say whatever they want, as long as it's not illegal. Personally, if it was me up there, I would give my speech and dare them to try to stop me. They have two options. Shut off the microphone. In which case, I could talk loud enough to be heard anyway. Or physically try to remove me. In which case, I could file assault charges against them.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
The way I see it is that students should be allowed to say whatever they want, as long as it's not illegal. Personally, if it was me up there, I would give my speech and dare them to try to stop me. They have two options. Shut off the microphone. In which case, I could talk loud enough to be heard anyway. Or physically try to remove me. In which case, I could file assault charges against them.
Sure you could and then they would confiscate and invalidate your diploma. All your parents' money, down the drain.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Then leave for the entirety of the graduation speech. In a society that protects an individuals freedom of speech, that is the minimum level of tolerance required.
Can't be done, it's a captive audience. Better to chlorinate the water than empty the swimming pool

Nov 2018
U.S
Sure you could and then they would confiscate and invalidate your diploma. All your parents' money, down the drain.
They cannot take away your diploma, unless it's for cheating or similar irregularities. They CANNOT take it away for exercising your first amendment rights. I'd like to see them try it. Any competent attorney would tear them a new one, along with a large cash settlement for their client.

Nov 2008
Washington state
Can't be done, it's a captive audience. Better to chlorinate the water than empty the swimming pool
There is no law against being religious or sharing your beliefs, nor is their one against being an atheist. There are laws that protect religious freedoms and keep government from removing those freedoms in the first amendment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
Nonsense.

If one have objections with regard to another's exercise of his freedom of speech, that is his problem. No one is a 'captive' anything since, guess what, no one is forcing anyone to listen.

duh?

Last edited: