Colleges are facing an existential threat

Jan 2016
Colorado
Nope ....

Back in my day they still offered educations.
Garsh, John, its a good thing you got yer ejumucayshun before they's started in teachin' alla that Darwan ape-man monkee bizness noncents, and alla globaloney warmin' malarkey, huh?

I mean, iff'n you'd a gone to skool a few decades later, you coulda been brainwarshed!

Jan 2016
Colorado
This was interesting from the link

While the recent dip in enrollment — and subsequent row of local college closures — has been attributed to a number of factors, experts say the enrollment trends are set to fall off a cliff. The reason is that the 2008 recession resulted in a historic downturn in the U.S. birth rate — effectively lighting the fuse of an 18-year time bomb for American colleges. Studies estimate that nearly 2.3 million fewer babies were born in the United States between 2008 and 2013, and the birth rate has continued to drop since then.

According to Meehan, the decline will result in a 32,000 to 54,000 decrease in the number of college-aged students in New England beginning in 2026.

Some experts predict that anywhere from 25 percent to even 50 percent of private colleges will close over the next decade. Several small schools in Vermont, most recently Southern Vermont College this week, have already announced plans to close. In Massachusetts, Newbury College will shut down this spring, while last year saw the abrupt closure of Mount Ida College and Wheelock College’s absorption by Boston Universit

Maybe this is a "regional" thing?

The top Universities in CA still get more applications than available spots.
I also read a recent paper that suggested birth rates are falling due to fears about the future of planet Earth due to rapid climate change. Young people really ARE worried about the future. They are quite probably right to do so.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
One can, however, get a STEM degree from a 4-year college and still achieve a liberal education in the process.

Which is really not a good thing, though "finding oneself" is kind of a vague reason to do anything.
This was interesting from the link

While the recent dip in enrollment — and subsequent row of local college closures — has been attributed to a number of factors, experts say the enrollment trends are set to fall off a cliff. The reason is that the 2008 recession resulted in a historic downturn in the U.S. birth rate — effectively lighting the fuse of an 18-year time bomb for American colleges. Studies estimate that nearly 2.3 million fewer babies were born in the United States between 2008 and 2013, and the birth rate has continued to drop since then.

According to Meehan, the decline will result in a 32,000 to 54,000 decrease in the number of college-aged students in New England beginning in 2026.

Some experts predict that anywhere from 25 percent to even 50 percent of private colleges will close over the next decade. Several small schools in Vermont, most recently Southern Vermont College this week, have already announced plans to close. In Massachusetts, Newbury College will shut down this spring, while last year saw the abrupt closure of Mount Ida College and Wheelock College’s absorption by Boston Universit

Maybe this is a "regional" thing?

The top Universities in CA still get more applications than available spots.
I think its happening nationwide overall but New England is getting hit the hardest. We have the top 3 oldest states. Senior housing everywhere and school enrollments are way down especially down to the kindergarten/elementary grades. We got hit with a double whammy in 2008 where we had some of the most expensive places to live and some of the most poverty stricken. Its one of those things. There has even been talk of paying to have kids. Companies rethink coming because there just are so many elderly.

New England now home to oldest population in America, Census data shows

Jan 2019
southeast
I also read a recent paper that suggested birth rates are falling due to fears about the future of planet Earth due to rapid climate change. Young people really ARE worried about the future. They are quite probably right to do so.
Wow, right out the AOC booklet. It is called Guide for Dummies.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Wow, right out the AOC booklet. It is called Guide for Dummies.
As a very recent issue of The Economist pointed out, Jenniel, the views of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on climate change are in perfect accord with the scientific orthodoxy on the issue; it is, rather, the denialist views of the Republican Party in general, and of Donald Trump in particular, that are at stark variance with what the science is telling us.

So if you want to run and join the Dummies, which is what you seem to be doing, you are welcome to do so.

Jan 2019
southeast
As a very recent issue of The Economist pointed out, Jenniel, the views of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on climate change are in perfect accord with the scientific orthodoxy on the issue; it is, rather, the denialist views of the Republican Party in general, and of Donald Trump in particular, that are at stark variance with what the science is telling us.

So if you want to run and join the Dummies, which is what you seem to be doing, you are welcome to do so.
Oh right on. Cut out the cow farts and take a train to Hawaii. BTW if she is so right on why does she not take public transportation when she lives in a city that you can take a train anywhere? Oh yes and she throws out plastic bags. Hello...unfortunately she does not practice what she preaches. Much like the former VP Al Gore. Talk big, but it does not apply to "me"

Jan 2016
Colorado
Oh right on. Cut out the cow farts and take a train to Hawaii. BTW if she is so right on why does she not take public transportation when she lives in a city that you can take a train anywhere? Oh yes and she throws out plastic bags. Hello...unfortunately she does not practice what she preaches. Much like the former VP Al Gore. Talk big, but it does not apply to "me"
You did not want to know what Bill Gates thought about 'cow farts'. I gave you that link before, and I don't believe you even bothered to see what he had to say on the subject.

Benjamin Franklin: "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn."

Dec 2018
Florida
I think thats because of the debt burden. One of my daughters friends majored in rhetoric and liberal arts in college. Now at 30 she still works at Target and has over 70K in debt. Several of her friends that went into STEM have serious jobs and their debt is already almost paid off. I feel in the future students will be far more specific in what they will major in. It wont be so much about finding oneself, which was popular back when I went. Now its far too expensive to do that.
Got my degree in the arts. I have $0 debt due to scholarships and Florida Prepaid. Still don’t think my degree was worth it and I’m seriously considering going in to Stem Field as well. I am still researching. My current job could have been done on a basic community college degree. I have friends working in the enrollment department (guidance on enrollment) at the local university. They don’t require a degree to guide people to get degrees. And there are just so many jobs that require a degree, but the degree is less valuable than work experience (in or out of field).

Colleges have thrived on the idea that “everyone needs a degree.” Not the idea that they should be providing an education for the work force. They’ve become giant daycares. It is sad.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
So why are people cheating and paying bribes for their kids to get into school if there's a shortage of students?