Colleges are facing an existential threat

Jan 2016
Colorado
Don't disagree with that all.

Too many at the top so to speak, just makes it that more expensive.
The same is true, to at least some extent, of the Pentagon: "Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians" is the way you might hear some people say that the Pentagon has far too many generals and maybe colonels, and not enough corporals and sergeants and, well, just plain privates.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
The same is true, to at least some extent, of the Pentagon: "Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians" is the way you might hear some people say that the Pentagon has far too many generals and maybe colonels, and not enough corporals and sergeants and, well, just plain privates.
Well to be fair, not that many people sign up for military duty anymore. A lot who want to don't qualify because they are so out of shape. Sad that puts the burden on everyone else who is on active duty.

Jan 2016
Colorado
IT falls under the computer science umbrella. Other STEM subjects are chemistry, physics, biology, pre med etc.
Please do not forget Mathematics, the Queen of the Sciences. The National Security Agency has repeatedly expressed concern that America is not graduating nearly enough of our own mathematicians. We are graduating plenty of foreign-born students with graduate degrees from our Mathematics Departments, and many of them choose to stay in the United States. But perhaps there are concerns about their loyalty to America, you see.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Please do not forget Mathematics, the Queen of the Sciences. The National Security Agency has repeatedly expressed concern that America is not graduating nearly enough of our own mathematicians. We are graduating plenty of foreign-born students with graduate degrees from our Mathematics Departments, and many of them choose to stay in the United States. But perhaps there are concerns about their loyalty to America, you see.
Yes mathematics is often overlooked.

Dec 2018
Florida
Medical would be a good choice IMO. Always a need for that.

My kids learned so much in college - things like critical thinking, research, etc. And it what it is. Most good paying jobs now require a degree (if you are talking business)

Also saw a big change in them after college in a good way. They learned to do so much on their own, that sometimes I feel useless :)

And the connections they made too have come in very handy.
How much of that was “college” vs living on their own? Or getting a job? I honestly learned more in my 5 years working during college than I really did in my classes.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
This 100x times over

Even though I hate Math :)

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Well to be fair, not that many people sign up for military duty anymore. A lot who want to don't qualify because they are so out of shape.
When I went in, they took plenty of people who were severely out of shape - including me, the second-fattest guy in the platoon (possibly the company) in Basic. I and the other guy got lots of extra physical training to get us in shape. That is the whole point of Basic Training.