Colonizing other worlds: Would you go?

Would you leave the to colonize another planet or moon?

• Total voters
Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
A question came up on about the willingness of people to leave the safety of their homes and strike out on an adventure to colonizing other planets even if it was a one-way trip. http://www.politicalhotwire.com/science-technology/59899-china-advances-toward-dominance-space.html

Would you go? Due to technology, you'd probably be able to maintain contact with family, but the odds are you'd never see them again unless they came with you. Do you have the pioneer spirit like your ancestors who came to the Americas?

***Sorry for the typo in the question. Is should have read "Would you leave the Earth to colonize another planet or moon?"

Last edited:
Aug 2010
I don't know. I guess it depends on the planet and how it looked. The moon? No, it's a desolate hell.
Desolate, yes. You'd probably be living underground for the most part, while some lucky bastards would be able to go out on the surface. Of course, there's danger working on the surface. I'm sure those who spend their lives going from home by subway to an office building and back again would understand what it is like. Just no summer trips to Coney Island. OTOH, at 1/6 gravity, it would make swimming and sports fun. If a large enough space was opened up and pressurized, you could probably fly using wings attached to your arms. A 180 lb man would weigh 30 there.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
One-way trip ... I don't know. My younger self, maybe.

My grandparents came from Ireland, but it wasn't a one-way trip. They went back many times, and the Ireland relatives came here, too. So, I don't know ....

Laura Ingalls' family did it, though =)
Our country was settled by many who were willing to make a one-way trip.

Jun 2011
you'd probably be able to maintain contact with family
Only if its in this solar system. If its beyond the nearest one is light years away which means a message leaves, it takes years to get here and then years to get back.

I wouldn't go....

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Thanks for a fun topic DW!

Assuming one has a relatively good life here, what would be the attraction to go?
(I'm a scuba diver & can get all the adventure of a new/alien world without having to go more than 3 miles from my home!.......& be weightless!!)

Now if the question was "Would you like to experience spaceflight"....my answer would be a definite YES.

Last edited:
Nov 2005
Richmond Va
I said no, only because I have a kid, but this reminds me of an interesting article I read this morning.

Mayan film documentary claims proof of aliens

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) -A new documentary about Mayan civilization will provide evidence of extraterrestrial contact with the ancient culture, according to a Mexican government official and the film's producer.

"Revelations of the Mayans 2012 and Beyond," currently in production, will claim the Mayans had contact with extraterrestrials, producer Raul Julia-Levy revealed to TheWrap.

"Mexico will release codices, artifacts and significant documents with evidence of Mayan and extraterrestrial contact, and all of their information will be corroborated by archaeologists," said Julia-Levy, son of actor Raul Julia.

In a release to TheWrap, Luis Augusto Garcia Rosado, the minister of tourism for the Mexican state of Campeche, said new evidence has emerged "of contact between the Mayans and extraterrestrials, supported by translations of certain codices, which the government has kept secure in underground vaults for some time."

He also spoke, in a phone conversation, of "landing pads in the jungle that are 3,000 years old."

Aug 2010
I said no, only because I have a kid
What if you could take immediate family?

Thanks for the article. I have some mixed feelings on alien visitors. One would be why someone would visit a minor star in a backwater part of the galaxy. It'd be equivalent to vacationing in Florala, Alabama.

Second, modern mankind has been around for a couple of hundred thousand years of which we only have a partial history of the last ten. We've advanced from the bronze age to spaceflight in six thousand years. It the massive gap between the entry of modern man and our history records makes me wonder if we've come this far before and then fell back for reasons unknown.

Last edited:
Reactions: One
Nov 2005
Richmond Va
What if you could take immediate family?
Too much risk as far as this lifetime goes... the question would probably be better poised in a few hundred years, if the situation is to ever occur.

I have some mixed feelings on alien visitors. One would be why someone would visit a minor star in a backwater part of the galaxy. It'd be equivalent to vacationing in Florala, Alabama.

Second, modern mankind has been around for a couple of hundred thousand years of which we only have a partial history of the last ten. We've advanced from the bronze age to spaceflight in six thousand years. It the massive gap between the entry of modern man and our history records makes me wonder if we've come this far before and then fell back for reasons unknown.
Some people, myself included, think that the bible may be one of the best stories ever written describing our interractions and origins with extraterrestrials.