Columbus Day Is Racist & We Should Drop It

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I have always hated the American hero worship of Columbus. It's historically wrong and it's racist as hell, but in years past, Italian Americans bullied me into accepting it by claiming that dropping Columbus Day was a just a sub rosa way to marginalize them even further. That argument no longer holds even one drop. These days, the trope of the Mafia guy is an iconic American fictional hero.

So, enough already. This is so degrading and insensitive to Native Americans.

What say you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/10/10/the-war-against-columbus-day/?utm_term=.94e5a217bfc1

May 2012
By the wall
I made a similar thread a year or so ago.

You are right, the man was a murderer. We studied him extensively in school. Columbus would have his people cut off limbs of people who did something he didn't like.

Absolutely disgusting that we now celebrate him. Yes he was an explorer but there were many explorers who didn't act like he did.

Nov 2014
TN
Who did Columbus commit Genocide?

The Genocide in the new world was committed by General Sherman, who gave Blankets to the Native Americans to keep warm.

Only problem is that the Blankets were first used Small Pox and Measles infected people

Sep 2016
My own world
I have always been a doubter than Columbus discovered America first. I believe Amerigo Vespucci did. It seems Columbus would have been the type of guy to have taken credit for someone elses discovery.

First voyage and letter controversy

There is some controversy among historians about when Vespucci set sail on his first voyage. Many accounts place the sail date in 1499, seven years after Columbus landed in the Bahamas. On the 1499 voyage, Vespucci sailed to the northern part of South America and into the Amazon River. He gave places he saw names like the “Gulf of Ganges,” thinking, as his explorer contemporaries did, that he was in Asia. He also made improvements to celestial navigation techniques. Vespucci was a skilled navigator, and predicted Earth’s circumference accurately within 50 miles.

But a letter dated in 1497 suggests that the 1499 voyage may have in fact been Vespucci’s second trip. The letter is written in Vespucci’s voice, though some historians dispute his authorship and the facts of the document, claiming it a forgery. The letter, written to the Gonfalonier of Florence (a high official on the city-state's supreme executive council), accounts a 1497 expedition to the Bahamas and Central America. If the accounts of this letter are true, then Vespucci reached the mainland of the Americas a few months before John Cabot and more than a year before Columbus.

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
We should celebrate Leif Erickson day instead.
We should stop with the bullshit that homo sapiens come in different species, and honor the suffering and misery the invasion of Europeans caused to Native Americans.

O'course, it would also be nice if we European Americans could stop inflicting racist injuries on Native Americans today.

But I will take this a step at a time.

Amirite, [MENTION=23838]RosieS[/MENTION]?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I have always been a doubter than Columbus discovered America first. I believe Amerigo Vespucci did. It seems Columbus would have been the type of guy to have taken credit for someone elses discovery.

First voyage and letter controversy

There is some controversy among historians about when Vespucci set sail on his first voyage. Many accounts place the sail date in 1499, seven years after Columbus landed in the Bahamas. On the 1499 voyage, Vespucci sailed to the northern part of South America and into the Amazon River. He gave places he saw names like the “Gulf of Ganges,” thinking, as his explorer contemporaries did, that he was in Asia. He also made improvements to celestial navigation techniques. Vespucci was a skilled navigator, and predicted Earth’s circumference accurately within 50 miles.

But a letter dated in 1497 suggests that the 1499 voyage may have in fact been Vespucci’s second trip. The letter is written in Vespucci’s voice, though some historians dispute his authorship and the facts of the document, claiming it a forgery. The letter, written to the Gonfalonier of Florence (a high official on the city-state's supreme executive council), accounts a 1497 expedition to the Bahamas and Central America. If the accounts of this letter are true, then Vespucci reached the mainland of the Americas a few months before John Cabot and more than a year before Columbus.
None of them discovered shit.

That's like claiming I own your house because I "discovered" it, although you still live there.

We need a new way to talk about the enlightenment of Europeans as to the fact that the planet is not flat.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Who did Columbus commit Genocide?

The Genocide in the new world was committed by General Sherman, who gave Blankets to the Native Americans to keep warm.

Only problem is that the Blankets were first used Small Pox and Measles infected people
The Europeans introduced small pox and other diseases that had never been seen on this continent before, and they did attempt genocide from the very first settlement.

Ergo, whichever was the first European here in North America literally poisoned the entire native population. Most did not survive.