Comeback of the great white shark

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
My theory is that, since no other ocean creature emits clouds of bubbles that that is what makes sharks leery of divers.
On the surface there are no bubbles and from below we look like their normal prey. (of course this doesn't hold true in a feeding frenzy or if you are harassing them)

May 2012
By the wall
Considering how much diving I've done in their territory I'm lucky I've never run across one.

In fact I've only really caught glimpses of sharks at all.

The only one I did ever see up close was while surfing and I looked over in the wave and there was some medium sized shark surfing along with me for a quick few seconds.

That was pretty freaky.

I didn't realize that sharks knew how to surf.

Maybe he was just catching a quick ride into shore.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
10. TRUE: Sharks have a natural hierarchy
With sharks, as with most animals, if you are larger and better-armed than your companions you’ll generally have right of way. At Shark Reef off Pacific Harbour in Fiji, we’ve witnessed a big tiger shark scatter a group of feeding bull sharks despite the latter being very large themselves. On one occasion, however, the bulls joined forces and out-muscled the tiger.

10 myths about sharks - Australian Geographic

Jan 2016
Colorado
10. TRUE: Sharks have a natural hierarchy
With sharks, as with most animals, if you are larger and better-armed than your companions you’ll generally have right of way. At Shark Reef off Pacific Harbour in Fiji, we’ve witnessed a big tiger shark scatter a group of feeding bull sharks despite the latter being very large themselves. On one occasion, however, the bulls joined forces and out-muscled the tiger.

10 myths about sharks - Australian Geographic
They are still trying to figure out exactly what caused the extinction of Megalodon, the largest shark that ever existed-----it probably dined on whales------and exactly when it happened:

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

I thought this theory that a nearby supernova did them in was pretty 'cool', but they are now saying it doesn't seem to work, chronologically.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
They are still trying to figure out exactly what caused the extinction of Megalodon, the largest shark that ever existed-----it probably dined on whales------and exactly when it happened:

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

I thought this theory that a nearby supernova did them in was pretty 'cool', but they are now saying it doesn't seem to work, chronologically.
I believe that they were done in when wales evolved to carry more fat and thus able to inhabit colder waters - out of reach for the Megalodons.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Great White Shark comebacks:

"I like everything about your hair except that it's about to get caught in my teeth."

"I've always wanted to find out if surfers taste like chicken."

"You look familiar. Did I already eat your twin?"

"Swim a little closer and say that again!"

"Those pants don't only make you look fat. They make you look delicious."