Congress/FCC should create minimum standards for businesses claiming protection under First Amendment.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Define "didn't allow."

Also, for other reasons, this may be a poor example of the point you're trying to make.
Tokyo Rose was the spokesman for an enemy country that meant us harm.....just like Donald Trump does.
We didn't allow the Japanese Imperial Army to set up a propaganda radio station in the U.S. so why do we allow Fox News here?

Last edited:

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Indeed Trump should appoint Tucker Carlson head of the FCC, declare some kind of an emergency, unilaterally declare CNN, NBC and NY Times as #fakenews and revoke their corporate charters immediately. If there is anything that should command universal assent, it's that the government should be the arbiter of what is and isn't true.
Trump already thought that up.
He'll announce it Tuesday.

(In my perfect world.......I'll be the decider of what is true!)

What we need is a benevolent despot in charge, not the MALEVOLENT Despot we now have.

Last edited:

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Tokyo Rose was the spokesman for an enemy country that mean us harm.....just like Donald Trump does.
We didn't allow the Japanese Imperial Army to set up a propaganda radio station in the U.S. so why do we allow Fox News here?
The woman most associated with the name Tokyo Rose was pardoned by President Ford after we found out the government compelled perjured testimony against her. She worked against the Japanese government with American and Australian POWs to make sure the outgoing messages she was forced to deliver were actually of little use as propaganda and were treated as a joke by American soldiers hearing the broadcast. She would later even receive a prestigious citizenship award from the World War II Veterans Committee.

Setting the Record Straight | American Veterans Center

https://www.fbi.gov/history/famous-cases/iva-toguri-daquino-and-tokyo-rose

Likening Fox News to a foreign power who attacked American soil and was responsible for killing Americans is a bit of a stretch.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
If members of the Japanese Imperial Army managed to get to the mainland US, they'd have about fifteen legal problems (plus that "whole shoot the enemy on site" thing) before we'd get to the question of the First Amendment. That's a terrible analogy.

Fox News is a legal enterprise, the product of a US corporation. Comparing it to a foreign power on which we'd declared war is kind of a reach.

Nov 2014
TN
Obviously a touchy subject but propaganda outlets should not be able to broadcast intentional lies by hiding behind !st Amendment protections.
Only the real "Press" should have freedom thereof!

Thoughts?

What part of "Congress shall MAKE NO LAW" do you not understand

Congress can make no law promoting a particular religion nor, can they make a law, prohibiting the expression of Religion.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
If members of the Japanese Imperial Army managed to get to the mainland US, they'd have about fifteen legal problems (plus that "whole shoot the enemy on site" thing) before we'd get to the question of the First Amendment. That's a terrible analogy.

Fox News is a legal enterprise, the product of a US corporation. Comparing it to a foreign power on which we'd declared war is kind of a reach.
Yet both are/were actively trying to destroy our country and democracy in general. Yesterday morning Fox News was advocating how Freedom of the press was a bad thing!
We simply have to figure out a defense against this new type of threat.

1930's Germany allowed itself to be destroyed from within by an evil cult of personality and acceptance of racism......we should not go down the same road.

Last edited:

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
Yet both are/were actively trying to destroy our country and democracy in general.
No, they aren't. They have a very different (wrong and harmful perhaps, but different) view of what that should be.
Yesterday morning Fox News was advocating how Freedom of the press was a bad thing!
WAIT! That's what you're doing in this thread. How are you different?
We simply have to figure out a defense against this new type of threat.
Our Founders already told us. The proper response to bad speech is good speech.

1930's Germany allowed itself to be destroyed from within by an evil cult of personality and acceptance of racism......we should not go down the same road.
I agree. I guarantee that letting government decide who gets to speak and who has to shut up is the first three steps down that road.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
No, they aren't. They have a very different (wrong and harmful perhaps, but different) view of what that should be. WAIT! That's what you're doing in this thread. How are you different?
Our Founders already told us. The proper response to bad speech is good speech.

I agree. I guarantee that letting government decide who gets to speak and who has to shut up is the first three steps down that road.
I guess part of what I'm doing is venting but believing that the free marketplace will always lead to the proper conclusion will not work if evil is allowed to control our sources of information and convince weak-minded people that bad is good, black is white and 1 + 1 =17
(just look who is sitting in the WH for your proof.)