Congress Procedure Question

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Ok... The President has been impeached and removed from office. The vice-president now sits in the Oval Office.

The Senate votes on a measure, and the vote is split, 50-50.

Who is called on to break the split? I think it would fall to the Speaker of the House, but that's just an educated guess.

=====

This isn't a Trump-related question or thread. I'm just interested in how the rules would be applied under such a circumstance.

Reactions: Friday13

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Ok... The President has been impeached and removed from office. The vice-president now sits in the Oval Office.

Who is called on to break the split? I think it would fall to the Speaker of the House, but that's just an educated guess.

=====

This isn't a Trump-related question or thread. I'm just interested in how the rules would be applied under such a circumstance.
Doesn't the VP who becomes the Prez have to appoint someone to be the new VP?

• Love
Reactions: the bull59
Jan 2014
California

=====

Mr. Djinn,

The new Vice President would decide the vote. The Speaker of the House is not a Senator, so has no say.

That used to be an issue until the 25th Amendment of the Constitution. For example, there was no vice president under Chester Arthur following his ascension to the Presidency following the assassination of Garfield.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
May 2019
midwest

=====

A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the vice president. The president pro tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.

To answer your query, it would appear that would be Charles Grassley @ 38+ years.
:cool:

Reactions: Friday13