Congress Proposes Creating ‘Space Corps,’ a New Branch of the Military

May 2012
By the wall
I think this is awesome, we are moving into a new era folks and I for one think this is a great idea.

Get the groundwork laid for a new branch of the military where we will not only need to protect our assets but where we will eventually fight a war with someone in whatever form that takes.

I agree that getting the jump on this is important for our national security and I hope this gains traction.

America’s next war might be fought in space, so lawmakers want to make a military wing just for that new battlefield.

Congressmen have drafted legislation to create a branch of the military, the “Space Corps,” that would command soldiers defending U.S. interests outside the Earth’s atmosphere.

Democratic and Republican members of the House Armed Services Committee recently made the proposal on Capitol Hill, citing “bipartisan acknowledgment that the strategic advantages we derive from our national security space systems are eroding.”

Representative Jim Cooper (D-TN) and Mike Rogers (R-AL) told the press the “Space Corps” is needed because the Department of Defense doesn’t recognize the “scale and nature” of the threat, according to The Verge.

Under the proposal, the “Space Corps” would be a part of the Air Force, similar to how the Marine Corps is subset*of the Navy.

However, the Air Force isn’t so keen on the idea, Military.com reports. They say creating a new branch of military service would be an unnecessary drain on its resources, especially since the Air Force already has a specialized wing for space operations, Space Command.
Congress Proposes Creating 'Space Corps,' a New Branch of the Military - RealClearLife

Jul 2014
midwest
The Air Force already has a "Space Command" and has since 1982.

Consists of about 20,000 people, so it's already up and running.

Of course the Air Force used to be the Army Air Corps (or Corpse, as Obama would say).

So yeah, maybe it could be a whole nother service someday.

May 2012
By the wall
The Air Force already has a "Space Command" and has since 1982.

Consists of about 20,000 people, so it's already up and running.

Of course the Air Force used to be the Army Air Corps (or Corpse, as Obama would say).

So yeah, maybe it could be a whole nother service someday.
Yeah I know they have that but space is going to become the next frontier basically so they need to develop a branch focused solely on that.

After researching this a little the Air Force hates this idea for obvious reasons but I think it will be a necessary step.

I imagine that within two decades this branch would be getting the bulk of our military funding.

Especially now with private industry taking over many space operations its really going to need a "policeman" up there.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
The Air Force arose after much hullabaloo that almost saw the dissolution of the Marines into the Army and Navy. Had the Corps not fought tooth and nail, it probably would have happened, and even then, before its official formation, the Air Force was an independent service in all but name.

There is no such functionally separate institution now --- almost all of the senior commanders who oversee Air Force space-oriented operations are career atmospheric pilots. Yet the USAF would nonetheless fight the formation of a new competing branch of service, and the Navy probably would too given how invested they are in it.

Finally, NASA was created and has been maintained a civilian agency, even while employing a huge number of military personnel, for an important reason: Under international law, the United States cannot, under any circumstances, install permanent weapons of any kind or purpose in space. It's long been speculated that the Soviets seriously invested in the possibility of operating satellite-launched nukes and other WMD. But they never went through with it, or it would've leaked after the Cold War, and if they had nobody would want to cooperate with them in space again. We could find ourselves in a similar position. Not worth the risk.

The future of space is first the private sector, and then NASA in close cooperation with the European Space Agency and, at least until our latest generation rockets are completed, the Russians. This is an issue that everyone is willing to invest huge amounts of money in despite any terrestrial squabbles. It's a little ridiculous that China is still left in the cold.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Hmm, perhaps they should get NASA in order first?

They were going to change the name of the Air Force to the "Aerospace Force," but balked when they realized how much it would cost, simply to change the name, lol.

"Aim high."

I am all for space use and exploration, I just don't believe this is the answer... we already have a space agency.

This might bring an arms race back into space, why do we insist on going backward lately?

Thx :popcorn:

Last edited:

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Hmm, perhaps they should get NASA in order first?

They were going to change the name of the Air Force to the "Aerospace Force," but balked when they realized how much it would cost, lol.

"Aim high."

I am all for space use and exploration, I just don't believe this is the answer... we already have a space agency.

This might bring an arms race back into space, why do we insist on going backward lately?

There is not going to be a space-based arms race ... any such program would be flatly illegal and the diplomatic penalties would be severe.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
There is not going to be a space-based arms race ... any such program would be flatly illegal and the diplomatic penalties would be severe.
And the Air Force themselves haven't seemed to embrace it:

(from the OP)

"However, the Air Force isn’t so keen on the idea, Military.com reports. They say creating a new branch of military service would be an unnecessary drain on its resources, especially since the Air Force already has a specialized wing for space operations, Space Command."

(Good, nice to see my Air Force hasn't gone stupid.)

I was in when they were thinking about changing to the "Aerospace Force," but all it amounted to was talk.

But at least Congress haven't been wasting their time deliberating over health care or some boondoggle like that!

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I think this is awesome, we are moving into a new era folks and I for one think this is a great idea.

Get the groundwork laid for a new branch of the military where we will not only need to protect our assets but where we will eventually fight a war with someone in whatever form that takes. ...
Against what sort of threat would this military branch prove more effective than any of the existing military branches? And are you proposing downsizing any of our existing branches in order to subsidize this new one?

Also, ask yourself this: If you were told that a rather than come out the DoD budget funds, a slice of your paycheck would go to "Space Corps Development and Support" - would you still support it?

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
And the Air Force themselves haven't seemed to embrace it:

(from the OP)

"However, the Air Force isn’t so keen on the idea, Military.com reports. They say creating a new branch of military service would be an unnecessary drain on its resources, especially since the Air Force already has a specialized wing for space operations, Space Command."

(Good, nice to see my Air Force hasn't gone stupid.)

I was in when they were thinking about changing to the "Aerospace Force," but all it amounted to was talk.

But at least Congress haven't been wasting their time deliberating over health care or some boondoggle like that!

The Air Force scrupulously avoids any perception that they are weaponizing space. If it involves something that goes boom and it will live most of its service life above the atmosphere, other than observation and communication platforms, NASA does it. Even their super-secret quasi-Space Shuttle was launched from and landed at a NASA facility.