Congressman on hunger strike to show solidarity with Occupy

Jul 2011
Old NYC/DMS
Congressman on hunger strike to show solidarity with Occupy

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Congressman on hunger strike to show solidarity with Occupy | Aubrey Whelan | Capital Land | Washington Examiner

Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., embarked on a 24-hour hunger strike in solidarity with four Occupy DC protesters who have gone without food since Dec. 8 to advocate for D.C. voting rights.

Ellison, the first Muslim to serve in the House, met with the hunger strikers Thursday and pledged to read their declaration – which calls for full voting rights for District residents as well as legislative and budget autonomy – on the floor of the House of Representatives to enter it into the congressional record.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Congressman on hunger strike to show solidarity with Occupy | Aubrey Whelan | Capital Land | Washington Examiner

Since when is a 24hr fast a "hunger strike"? I agree with these protestors that DC residents should get these things. but come now, it's not a "hunger strike" if it's only a day.

Dec 2007
NY
24 hours? HOLY SHIT. She's soooooooooo hardcore.

I've gone longer without eating because of work.... Hell I've probably done it unintentionally before.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I go on strike at my job every night at 5 until about 8 in the morning. I also strike for fifteen minutes twice a day and then too when I eat lunch.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
I believe this guy is the first Muslim member of Congress, IIRC.

Which makes the idea of an only 24-hour "hunger strike" even sillier. He already does it for a month every year.

Jun 2011
Oh.

The Mayor was figuring that if Jerry Nadler went on a hunger strike Ethiopia could finally be fed.

reading...reading...reading....

A twenty-four hour hunger strike? What's that? The equivalent of Jerry saying no to a donut.

The guy's a muslim? They don't fast for 24 hours, they fast when the sun is up, after sunset they can chow down.

Last edited:
Dec 2007
NY
I love reading all of the comments...
"Because he C.A.I.R.s.." LOL
"Democrat Congressman going on hunger strike? Good. Starve." Ahahaha

Anyone else?

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Since when is a 24hr fast a "hunger strike"? I agree with these protestors that DC residents should get these things. but come now, it's not a "hunger strike" if it's only a day.

He never called it a hunger strike. He called it a 24-hour solidarity fast.

So, what's the problem?

House Democrat on hunger strike out of ‘solidarity’ with protesters
By Alicia M. Cohn - 12/16/11 01:17 PM ET

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) revealed Friday that he is fasting for 24 hours along with Occupy D.C. hunger strikers.

Ellison tweeted: “@Occupy_DC, started my 24-hour solidarity fast last night. May the D.C. vote and budgetary independence prevail!”

more: House Democrat on hunger strike out of

I also agree that DC residents deserve to have full representation in Congress, with voting rights, and local control over laws and budgets.

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
I believe this guy is the first Muslim member of Congress, IIRC.

Which makes the idea of an only 24-hour "hunger strike" even sillier. He already does it for a month every year.
I thought that during Ramadan they do not eat during daylight hours not for 24 hour periods. If Muslims did not eat for 24 hours very day for 30 days that would be the last Ramadan... What are you talking about ?

Last edited:

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Stefan Bandera said:
I thought that during Ramadan they do not eat during daylight hours not for 24 hour periods. If Muslims did not eat for 24 hours very day for 30 days that would be the last Ramadan... What are you talking about ?
I'm aware that they only fast during the daylight hours. I was just being a little tongue in cheek over an event that's pretty much irrelevant.

So the guy didn't or isn't going to eat for a 24 hour period. What is this supposed to mean, again?