Connecticut legislators scrutinize billion dollar increase in sales taxes

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
WTH is that governor thinking??

Lawmakers began their formal scrutiny of Gov. Ned Lamont’s controversial tax package Wednesday, questioning the fairness of a proposed tax on sugary beverages and how adding the sales tax to dozens of goods and services would affect the state’s poorer residents.

Rep. Quentin Phipps, D-Middletown, asked Lamont’s budget director, Melissa McCaw, why the governor has proposed a sugary drink tax that impacts low-income consumers at the same time he wants to eliminate the gift tax that largely affects the wealthy. Lamont’s plan has received a storm of criticism from both Republicans and liberal Democrats. Republicans say Lamont should have proposed more spending cuts in a state budget that increases spending by 1.7 percent in the first year and 3.4 percent in the second year. Liberal Democrats say some of the sales tax increases will hurt the poor, adding that they believe a better idea would be to drop the wide variety of increases and instead raise taxes on the rich.

Rather than raising the sales tax rate, Lamont is calling for a broad expansion of the 6.35 percent sales tax onto items that are currently tax-free. Those include non-prescription drugs, bicycle helmets, child car seats, newspapers, college text books and haircuts.

Lamont’s two-year, $43 billion budget proposal also includes retroactive tax increases that date back to Jan. 1 of this year. Those include eliminating increased exemptions for Social Security and pension income, which would require the elderly to pay more in personal income taxes.

Legislators scrutinize Gov. Ned Lamont’s plan for $1 billion in new sales taxes

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Wow, what a mess. I already disagree with sales taxes to begin with, but taxing bicycle helmets and child car seats ... ? :eek:

Jun 2014
United States
Wow, what a mess. I already disagree with sales taxes to begin with, but taxing bicycle helmets and child car seats ... ? :eek:

We've always had to pay sales taxes on those items. I don't know if it's changed, but Florida used to have no sales tax on groceries. Nice to have those exemptions, I suppose, but cutting out specific items does result in lower revenues from sales taxes. I don't really see a sales tax on bicycle helmets and car seats breaking anyone's family budget. I've always thought that the movement to exclude tampons and sanitary napkins from sales taxes was silly. Not that I personally like to pay taxes, but we do have to fund our governments somehow.

Nov 2010
More polticians owned by the rich, who do their bidding for them. The rich own the media so can dupe enough people into ignoring their unethical behavior, and with money allowed in politics, politicians (both dem and republican) will do the rich's bidding.

That's why people should love people like AOC, Sanders, those that do not take PAC and big corporate money and who actually fight for the people. AOC and Sanders policies are about fighting for the majroity of the people, not just the rich. Would be nice for the right to pull their heads out of fox news' ass for once and come to that realization.

We should be coming together about the politicians that allow the rich to plunder this country as the rest of us struggle

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
More polticians owned by the rich, who do their bidding for them. The rich own the media so can dupe enough people into ignoring their unethical behavior, and with money allowed in politics, politicians (both dem and republican) will do the rich's bidding.

That's why people should love people like AOC, Sanders, those that do not take PAC and big corporate money and who actually fight for the people. AOC and Sanders policies are about fighting for the majroity of the people, not just the rich. Would be nice for the right to pull their heads out of fox news' ass for once and come to that realization.

We should be coming together about the politicians that allow the rich to plunder this country as the rest of us struggle
You see #Trumpcultists on every tax thread screaming in support of the 1%, it is pathetic.