Conservative Pastors Don’t Always Preach What the Bible Teaches

Sep 2013
On a hill
November 12, 2013 While an overwhelming majority of theologically-conservative pastors believe that the Bible speaks directly to the morality of current issues challenging the nation, only a minority preach on these issues from the pulpit, according to a survey by the American Culture and Faith Institute.

The Institute surveyed a random sample of survey among 412 theologically-conservative pastors revealed that almost all of the pastors (95%) believe that the Bible provides principles that relate to the morality of abortion. The same proportion (95%) says the scriptures offer moral principles related to same-sex marriage. More than nine out of ten (96%) argue that the Bible describes principles regarding the morality of environmental care. Nine out of ten believe the scriptures address the morality of gambling (90%). Roughly eight out of ten (78%) say the morality of immigration is addressed in the Bible while three-quarters (77%) contend the Bible talks about the morality of government spending. Of the seven issues studied, the lowest proportion of pastors (61%) believes that the Bible addresses the morality of gun ownership and use.

http://www.culturefaith.com/conservative-pastors-dont-always-preach-what-the-bible-teaches/#more-512

More at the link.

What I find interesting is that poverty and treatment of the poor doesn't even make their list.

Oct 2013
Ohio
November 12, 2013 While an overwhelming majority of theologically-conservative pastors believe that the Bible speaks directly to the morality of current issues challenging the nation, only a minority preach on these issues from the pulpit, according to a survey by the American Culture and Faith Institute.

The Institute surveyed a random sample of survey among 412 theologically-conservative pastors revealed that almost all of the pastors (95%) believe that the Bible provides principles that relate to the morality of abortion. The same proportion (95%) says the scriptures offer moral principles related to same-sex marriage. More than nine out of ten (96%) argue that the Bible describes principles regarding the morality of environmental care. Nine out of ten believe the scriptures address the morality of gambling (90%). Roughly eight out of ten (78%) say the morality of immigration is addressed in the Bible while three-quarters (77%) contend the Bible talks about the morality of government spending. Of the seven issues studied, the lowest proportion of pastors (61%) believes that the Bible addresses the morality of gun ownership and use.

http://www.culturefaith.com/conservative-pastors-dont-always-preach-what-the-bible-teaches/#more-512

More at the link.

What I find interesting is that poverty and treatment of the poor doesn't even make their list.
I grew up with lots of Bible. Jesus was a wandering, liberal, hippy troublemaker. He did NOT like folks who were rich,powerful,greedy, merciless. He spoke well of those who were the outcasts, the outsiders, the meek and humble. The folks who declare themselvves SAVED..elite.. are too prideful. Subscribing to some cult...declaring yourself SAVED..is like the Pharisees. NOT Jesus favorites. He HATED how some commercialized Religion... and that was a big deal in the Gospels. Jesus was no advocate of violence or vengance. If you don't know that.. you ain't a REAL Christian.. just a cult follower. The folks who claim to be FUNDAMENTALISTS.....seldom are. They are in it to feel SUPERIOR..Holier than YOU.

That's way off base. Some of the Best Christians I ever met...ain't even Christians. They just LIVE IT. The CORE stuff.

Good Ideas... get FUCKED UP over time, get exploited, perverted. Marx was an idealist...but "Commie" turned out the OPPOSITE of his dream. A lot of "Christian" was and is OPPOSITE of what Jesus said.

Oct 2013
Ohio
Sure...and you can't find that stuff in the Bible. Hell.. there's probably a sect that says the bible talks about how many miles between oils changes.
There's sure some ODD shit.. but.. often it is a BUSINESS. Some guy finds a way to make a buck.

FWIW...asked about TAX... Jesus said..Render unto Caesar. That did not directly address SPENDING but Taxes were about that.

Last edited:
Dec 2007
Middle of nowhere Arkansas

More at the link.

So, let me understand this......you are upset that conservative ministers aren't perching to those topics "you" believe they should. Is that your point?

Sep 2012
SoCal
I grew up with lots of Bible. Jesus was a wandering, liberal, hippy troublemaker. He did NOT like folks who were rich,powerful,greedy, merciless. He spoke well of those who were the outcasts, the outsiders, the meek and humble. The folks who declare themselvves SAVED..elite.. are too prideful. Subscribing to some cult...declaring yourself SAVED..is like the Pharisees. NOT Jesus favorites. He HATED how some commercialized Religion... and that was a big deal in the Gospels. Jesus was no advocate of violence or vengance. If you don't know that.. you ain't a REAL Christian.. just a cult follower. The folks who claim to be FUNDAMENTALISTS.....seldom are. They are in it to feel SUPERIOR..Holier than YOU.

That's way off base. Some of the Best Christians I ever met...ain't even Christians. They just LIVE IT. The CORE stuff.

Good Ideas... get FUCKED UP over time, get exploited, perverted. Marx was an idealist...but "Commie" turned out the OPPOSITE of his dream. A lot of "Christian" was and is OPPOSITE of what Jesus said.
My mother tried to make me a "christian"...but I didn't respond to the mind control.

Apr 2014
Maryland
Sure...and you can't find that stuff in the Bible. Hell.. there's probably a sect that says the bible talks about how many miles between oils changes.
There's sure some ODD shit.. but.. often it is a BUSINESS. Some guy finds a way to make a buck.

FWIW...asked about TAX... Jesus said..Render unto Caesar. That did not directly address SPENDING but Taxes were about that.
It's the 11th commandment...."thou shalt change thy oil every 25.009 miles or get stoned." I like the getting stoned part