Contempt of Congress

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Four top White House officials who were supposed to testify for the House’s impeachment inquiry Monday declined to appear.
John Eisenberg, the top lawyer at the National Security Council, failed to show up on Capitol Hill for his scheduled deposition time. He is believed to have made the call to lock down records of President Trump’s call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in a special system.
Congress can vote to hold a person "in contempt" if that person refuses to testify, won't provide information requested by the House or the Senate, or obstructs an inquiry by a congressional committee.
The criminal offense of "contempt of Congress" sets the penalty at not less than one month nor more than twelve months in jail and a fine of not more than $100,000 or less than $100.
Contempt of Congress - Wikipedia

Part of civil disobedience is paying the price for that disobedience What do you think the odds are these high officials will wind up in jail?

May 2012
By the wall
I am not sure. Can they even win a contempt vote with the GOP protecting each other?
Contempt of Congress is a very weird thing because it is essentially unenforceable. They are not going to send out the Sergeant-At-Arms to someone's house to arrest them and it's doubtful the courts would even uphold that. On top of that, there are very specific requirements that must be met to hold someone in contempt and the person can legally fight that before a court rules that contempt is indeed permissible. This could literally take months.

This is why congress has rarely ever used it.

Reactions: Izzshemovin

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I'm pretty sure its up to the committee to vote and since the Dem's are in the majority I believe it would pass a contempt vote.
Cite? I could not find the statute in a cursory search (with one foot out the door).

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
If contempt of Congress can't be enforced, and if Trump's minions blindly obey when he tells them not to testify, then we may never find out the truth.
I think I saw this week alone 9 are refusing to show up. That pushes the entire thing out even more. I am not sure how long before either people are involved with the holidays and next years election that they lose interest, or they just figure nobody bothers to enforce them so its not a big deal.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
I think I saw this week alone 9 are refusing to show up. That pushes the entire thing out even more. I am not sure how long before either people are involved with the holidays and next years election that they lose interest, or they just figure nobody bothers to enforce them so its not a big deal.

I had hoped there would be more interest in preserving the republic. How sad.