Controversy erupts over Campus Republicans bake sale plans

Sep 2011
Western NY and Geneva, CH
Campus Republicans at the University of California Berkeley have cooked up a storm of controversy with their plans for a bake sale.

But it's not your everyday collegiate fundraiser they've got in mind. They've developed a sliding scale where the price of the cookie or brownie depends on your gender and the color of your skin.

During the sale, scheduled for Tuesday, baked goods will be sold to white men for $2.00, Asian men for $1.50, Latino men for $1.00, black men for $0.75 and Native American men for $0.25. All women will get $0.25 off those prices.

[...]

"We didn't expect the volume, the amount of response that we got," Lewis said. "In the first few hours, hundreds of posts on our Facebook page. And the tone of some of the responses -- we expected people to be upset. We didn't expect personal threats to be made. They were implicit and explicit threats made to the organizers of the event, from burning down the table to throwing our baked goods at us and other kinds of physical threats."
Controversy erupts over Campus Republicans bake sale plans - CNN.com

The appropriate response to a stunt like this isn't anger or threats. The appropriate response is a better stunt.

As soon as I saw that sign, I would've scoured the campus for a Native American co-ed, then had her snitch their entire stock in one fell swoop. Then I would've set up my own table, and posted the following sign:

"Irony Bakery, All Items $0.50; Proceeds Will Be Used to Re-Purchase Stolen Land"

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
"We didn't expect the volume, the amount of response that we got," Lewis said. "In the first few hours, hundreds of posts on our Facebook page. And the tone of some of the responses -- we expected people to be upset. We didn't expect personal threats to be made. They were implicit and explicit threats made to the organizers of the event, from burning down the table to throwing our baked goods at us and other kinds of physical threats."
:highly_amused:

Sep 2011
Western NY and Geneva, CH
This stupid stunt reminds me of something from work, years ago.

The boss and this other guy were bickering, and the boss said, "Blow me!"

The other guy said, "You couldn't afford it."

"How much?"

Proudly: "$500 per minute." Then he froze. Then he groaned, for he knew he'd made a horrible mistake.

I piped up, "Hey, I've got $50 to see him humiliate himself for 6 seconds!"

Reactions: bonncaruso
Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
Controversy erupts over Campus Republicans bake sale plans - CNN.com

The appropriate response to a stunt like this isn't anger or threats. The appropriate response is a better stunt.

As soon as I saw that sign, I would've scoured the campus for a Native American co-ed, then had her snitch their entire stock in one fell swoop. Then I would've set up my own table, and posted the following sign:

"Irony Bakery, All Items $0.50; Proceeds Will Be Used to Re-Purchase Stolen Land"
I just love the response you posted especially the last line ""Irony Bakery, All Items $0.50; Proceeds Will Be Used to Re-Purchase Stolen Land" -- My wife who is part NATIVE American said that we should have held a bake sale for the "farm" we bought and returned some of it to "her people".

Jun 2011
N/A
This stupid stunt reminds me of something from work, years ago.

The boss and this other guy were bickering, and the boss said, "Blow me!"

The other guy said, "You couldn't afford it."

"How much?"

Proudly: "$500 per minute." Then he froze. Then he groaned, for he knew he'd made a horrible mistake.

I piped up, "Hey, I've got $50 to see him humiliate himself for 6 seconds!"
Strangely enough, I clicked the "thanks" link and both "thanks" and "no-thanks" appeared. I think the binary code has a hangover here...

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
This is Cal-Berkeley, I don't care what the price scale of their cookies says they'll never top the sales of the liberal brownie table right next to them.

Jul 2011
Detention Block AA-23
I thought this was a good point the first time I heard it, but the shtick is getting old.

I guess it's slowly going around from club to club and it makes the national news each time?

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
What a rotten message to send to the world...

"We're American students and yes we have a long way to go and have almost no sensitivity for others... Same ugly Americans, education makes no difference here..."

Creeps!

Thx :)

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
This is Cal-Berkeley, I don't care what the price scale of their cookies says they'll never top the sales of the liberal brownie table right next to them.
Bought some Berkeley brownies once back in the day. Strange thing though. I found myself listening to Jimi Hendrix and playing air guitar for hours after I ate one.

Reactions: Thx1138