Could a medical problem make you bankrupt?

Would a medical problem make you bankrupt?

• Easily. A one-week hospital stay could drain my finances

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Yes, but it would have to be catostrophic and long term

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Not likely, my insurance and/or savings could weather just about anything

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Pfft. I'm RESPONSIBLE. I've saved more than enough and have great insurance

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Nope. I like in a smart country that has national health care

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Orangemanbad
No need to share tax returns, just give it some thought and weigh in, please.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I could have selected three or maybe even four of those answers. So I just picked one.

Last edited:

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I picked "Yes, but it would have to be catostrophic and long term"... what do I win?

Oct 2010
It would bankrupt most if its catastrophic care..

this is why I can't understand why people don't see, the price of un/under insured people drive up the price of healthcare.

They also drive up the price of most everything else as well when they file bankruptcy.

To assume that everyone will run to the doctor every time for every little thing is laughable. I had Tricare reserve select 2 full years before I ever used it. Took me chipping my heel before I went to a doctor.

A lot of the uninsured are health people, thus insuring them WILL NOT drive the price of insurance up. Insurance isn't based on number of people covered but by RISK. Healthy people means lower risks, so one should want them to join.

People are blowing this out of proportion based solely on political party affiliation.

Reminds me of what Repubs claimed would happen if we elected JFK, that the Pope would be running America, never happened. Nor will Obamacare ruin our Health care nor drive up prices more then they would already go up.

Mar 2012
I went with the irrelevant answer, because the thread is irrelevant.

Though I would not be bankrupted by the healthcare system if I was seriously injured or suffered major illness.

Yes I have good insurance, I have a few bob saved and my wife and I have put aside sufficient to cover all our expenses of daily living for a 10 year period.
It's what responsible folk do!!!

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Maybe one of the answers could have been:

Never -- I would let nature take its course if bankruptcy and continued illness was my only other option.

Reactions: Mordent

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I went with the irrelevant answer, because the thread is irrelevant.

Though I would not be bankrupted by the healthcare system if I was seriously injured or suffered major illness.

Yes I have good insurance, I have a few bob saved and my wife and I have put aside sufficient to cover all our expenses of daily living for a 10 year period.
It's what responsible folk do!!!
Responsible folk put away enough for an illness that lasts 10 years and one day... looks like you're just planning on being a drain on your fellow citizens should that happen.