Could the Cuban Crisis realistically have lead to WW3?

Could the Cuban Crisis realistically have lead to WW3?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Helena

Former Staff
Sep 2007
Maybe my user title will provide a clue.
Admittedly I don't know much about the crisis, but the little I know has always seemed to me as mostly posturing on both sides. Do you think a nuclear world war was a real option?

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Admittedly I don't know much about the crisis, but the little I know has always seemed to me as mostly posturing on both sides. Do you think a nuclear world war was a real option?
I was in HS when it happened & it scared the crap out of me.
President Kennedy & Sec of Defense Robert McNamara were scared too.

If JFK had listened to his generals......LeMay in particular.....we'd all be dead now.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
It just takes one trigger happy jackass, one percieved threat that an attack was launched or did happen, for someone to make the first strike. THen its proliferates from there. Human beings suck in general, so I think it was possible. People are assholes. Don't fret, WWIII is likely going to happen and we are seeing the beginning with the middle east situation, when big powers start taking sides and getting involved, its on. THere are enough nut job assholes around to make it happen, and not enough level headed people to simma it down

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Apparently, the war very almost started. The Soviet nuclear submarine B-59 was trapped by the US Navy near Cuba, who started dropping depth charges to force it to surface. The sub was too low to receive any radio contact, and didn't know what was going on. According to the story, the Captain thought that war might have already broken out, and wanted to fire their nuclear torpedo. Under regulations, the launch required the agreement of the Captain, the second-in-command and the Political Officer. The Captain and Political Officer both wanted to launch, the second-in-command said no, and after an argument the sub surfaced.

If someone else had been second-in-command of that sub, or perhaps if that officer had been in a different mood, the Soviets would have launched a nuclear missile, and I'd guess the US would retaliate. Nuclear World War III averted by one man.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
I am pretty sure it was just another use of fear so the banks that funded both sides could bilk trillions from the Russian and American peasants.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I think it could have happened. But Khrushchev had to know he couldn't win something like this. That's why MAD is so effective. Plus, he was at a disadvantage in that the missiles in Cuba were only being built at the moment of the standoff and he didn't have nukes that could reach the US mainland. Of course, that's why he wanted the missiles in Cuba. I hadn't heard the story of the sub, Caffeine. While that would suck if a nuke was launched from a sub, it wouldn't be as devastating as the US launching an all out nuke attack in the Soviet Union. IMHO

Helena

Former Staff
Sep 2007
Maybe my user title will provide a clue.
I just can't imagine either side could have believed that war was "winnable." Plus the reason for war, even though only a pretext, seems so marginal.

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
I think it could have, as BOTH sides were very "tense" at the time.

However...it woulda been a quick one, as World Wars go.

We wouldn't be chatting on the internet, today, I am quite certain.