could you get behind a political platform that advocated reducing the population?

Apr 2019
down on Rue Morgue Avenue
if there was a candidate that advocated reducing population growth in order to preserve resources, could you get on board with that?

The notion would be no ending of existing life. no ending the disabled or elderly or mandated abortions.
this will get around hecklers yelling, "Sure lets reduce it....start with yourself !"

no, rather it is about limiting new population. So tax benefits could go to those who DO NOT have children or adopt and increased taxes for those that do having children. The more kids the more taxes. they are going to be using resources after all. essentially, we stop incentivizing having babies.

This could be pitched at saving the planet (liberal ideal) but also conserving fiscal resources (conservative ideal).

please, I would like to hear our thoughts , pro and con.

Mar 2019
Texas
It is called the Democrat party and they are working hard to kill off as much of the population (especially minorities) as possible.

They have 'reduced' the population of the US by at least 50 million since 1973.

Apr 2019
down on Rue Morgue Avenue
It is called the Democrat party and they are working hard to kill off as much of the population (especially minorities) as possible.

They have 'reduced' the population of the US by at least 50 million since 1973.

no , I'm not talking abortions here. That would be a separate issue from what I am detailing above.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Not really. Other countries' populations are their own business, but the US is 146th in population density. Not exactly urgent. Also your title is a bit misleading; advocating reducing population growth is slightly different from advocating "reducing the population". If anything, the US needs more population not less, and there is clearly a movement afoot working to criminalize those willing to fill that need. But anyway seems like it would be a pointless platform considering that:

U.S. Births Dip To 30-Year Low; Fertility Rate Sinks Further Below Replacement Level

Even though we are the third most populous country in the world, we have a lot of land. Also there's a big drop off in population after China and India.

Reactions: galatin

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Not really. Other countries' populations are their own business, but the US is 146th in population density. Not exactly urgent. Also your title is a bit misleading; advocating reducing population growth is slightly different from advocating "reducing the population". If anything, the US needs more population not less, and there is clearly a movement afoot working to criminalize those willing to fill that need. But anyway seems like it would be a pointless platform considering that:

U.S. Births Dip To 30-Year Low; Fertility Rate Sinks Further Below Replacement Level

Even though we are the third most populous country in the world, we have a lot of land. Also there's a big drop off in population after China and India.
Anyone truly concerned about global warming would be advocating for population reduction.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Anyone truly concerned about global warming would be advocating for population reduction.
As I said, it seems redundant. Population is reducing itself here, and there isn't much we can do about other countries.

The best way to advocate for population control is to advocate for education of women. It's the one obvious factor that determines how much or how little the population grows in a society, and insofar as I can support that, I do.

Reactions: Babba and galatin

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
As I said, it seems redundant. Population is reducing itself here, and there isn't much we can do about other countries.

The best way to advocate for population control is to advocate for education of women. It's the one obvious factor that determines how much or how little the population grows in a society, and insofar as I can support that, I do.
So why do you oppose the slowing of population growth in the US?