Court rules Yelp must identify real names of users

Snikitz

Former Staff
Mar 2011
Split between Minnesota and New Orleans
If you are accused of something, I would think it would be fair to know who it is making the accusations.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
If you are accused of something, I would think it would be fair to know who it is making the accusations.
I would agree to an extent but if you went to a local restaurant and the service and food was awful shouldn't you be allowed to say that anonymously? We have a local opinion page in the newspaper and they used to allow user names and initials for letters to the editors. Then they demanded people use real names. People had strangers finding out where they lived and knocking on their doors, employers used it against workers and neighbors got angry. It has gotten ugly. Its one thing if just the business knows the identities as they could offer a do over or something but the internet is worldwide and there are kooks out there.

Oct 2010
In the empty heads of the right wingers I own
I would agree to an extent but if you went to a local restaurant and the service and food was awful shouldn't you be allowed to say that anonymously? We have a local opinion page in the newspaper and they used to allow user names and initials for letters to the editors. Then they demanded people use real names. People had strangers finding out where they lived and knocking on their doors, employers used it against workers and neighbors got angry. It has gotten ugly. Its one thing if just the business knows the identities as they could offer a do over or something but the internet is worldwide and there are kooks out there.
Mary Ann found out that right wing kooks will send their idiot rage in the mail if they know your name.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Mary Ann found out that right wing kooks will send their idiot rage in the mail if they know your name.
I remember. Its happened here too, someone writes a letter to the editor and people go on Switchboard and look up the phone number or address and go nuts. It could get dangerous.

Red Eft

Former Staff
May 2007
I've given some pretty nasty reviews. Normally I wouldn't have a problem speaking up and being vocal about them but I live in a very small town where most everyone is related, and I own a business. What that means is that I have to be careful about saying anything negative because I don't know who I'll piss off and potentially lose as a client.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Eventually everything you do on the internet will be under your real name, directly in plain view for everyone to see.