Covington Catholic Is the Terrible Sequel to the Kavanaugh Case

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
With strong whiffs of anti-Catholicism in the mix. the 'Know-Nothings' are the Dims.

Conservative parents look at liberal hate and think, “They could do that to my son.”

Over the last 72 hours, I’ve been asking myself a simple question: What would happen if a group of Black Israelites had spent an hour taunting my son’s high-school football team? How would they have reacted if a Native American elder had walked into their midst – apparently not saying anything intelligible to them, but rather banging a drum and chanting inches from one kid’s face. Would they have thought that was an effort at “peacemaking,” or just more taunting? What would they have said if some of the people walking with that elder had yelled insults at them?

I ask those questions, but I’m pretty sure I know the answer. The boys wouldn’t have reacted all that differently from the kids at Covington Catholic. They would have sung different songs, they would have chanted different chants, and maybe one or two of the kids would have lofted an obscene gesture in the direction of the Black Israelites. In other words, they would have been kids, and barring some sort of overt criminal act, the blame for any tension that followed should rest with the adults who behaved so aggressively and strangely (and, let’s face it, walking through a group of boys chanting and banging a drum is not exactly normal behavior). If a kid responds poorly to a challenging situation, you reprimand him. You teach him.

But this is America in 2019, and it’s full of rage and hate. And parents of young men know that hostile people would instead want to destroy your child’s life. They would want to destroy your own livelihood. They would wish violence on him and you. They would try to destroy your school, and they would mock your faith. And then, even when their rage is proven to be unfounded, they would spend days hunting through your background and your school’s history to try to find some reason to hate you anyway.

Covington Catholic & Brett Kavanaugh -- Covington School Is the Terrible Sequel to the Kavanaugh Case | National Review

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
The fake news stuff ends up so damaging to one's own side that I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see examples of self-inflicted false flag smears to frame the other side for being fake news perpetuators.

I think that's the lesson to be learned here for both sides, is don't believe what you read until it's had some time to be fact-checked, and even if it turns out to be fake news, you maybe shouldn't even assume you know its source or the motives behind it, because you might not. If it turns out to be fake news, dismiss it as manipulative garbage propagated by some shady characters, and that's it. Don't try to wield it for political gain, because it could backfire on you.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
USA
It would be the same outrage. Hope that helps them understand this issue. One difference would likely be that conservatives would be outraged too. You know...the black thing.

In any case we do know that Black Israelites acted inappropriately and liberals seem to agree that their display was terrible. Keep in mind the students were far less than what they grew to be. They handled themselves well in that instance.

They were great until they had the numbers and the disrespectful kid did the unthinkable. He can learn from this if adults stop pretending it didn't happen.

Last edited:

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
With strong whiffs of anti-Catholicism in the mix. the 'Know-Nothings' are the Dims.

Conservative parents look at liberal hate and think, “They could do that to my son.”

Over the last 72 hours, I’ve been asking myself a simple question: What would happen if a group of Black Israelites had spent an hour taunting my son’s high-school football team? How would they have reacted if a Native American elder had walked into their midst – apparently not saying anything intelligible to them, but rather banging a drum and chanting inches from one kid’s face. Would they have thought that was an effort at “peacemaking,” or just more taunting? What would they have said if some of the people walking with that elder had yelled insults at them?

I ask those questions, but I’m pretty sure I know the answer. The boys wouldn’t have reacted all that differently from the kids at Covington Catholic. They would have sung different songs, they would have chanted different chants, and maybe one or two of the kids would have lofted an obscene gesture in the direction of the Black Israelites. In other words, they would have been kids, and barring some sort of overt criminal act, the blame for any tension that followed should rest with the adults who behaved so aggressively and strangely (and, let’s face it, walking through a group of boys chanting and banging a drum is not exactly normal behavior). If a kid responds poorly to a challenging situation, you reprimand him. You teach him.

But this is America in 2019, and it’s full of rage and hate. And parents of young men know that hostile people would instead want to destroy your child’s life. They would want to destroy your own livelihood. They would wish violence on him and you. They would try to destroy your school, and they would mock your faith. And then, even when their rage is proven to be unfounded, they would spend days hunting through your background and your school’s history to try to find some reason to hate you anyway.

Covington Catholic & Brett Kavanaugh -- Covington School Is the Terrible Sequel to the Kavanaugh Case | National Review

Your thread title is spot on. Now that the light is on, watch the Catholic school roaches appear.

Jan 2014
California
It would be the same outrage. Hope that helps them understand this issue. One difference would likely be that conservatives would be outraged too. You know...the black thing.

In any case we do know that Black Israelites acted inappropriately and liberals seem to agree that their display was terrible. Keep in mind the students were far less than what they grew to be. They handled themselves well in that instance.

They were great until they had the numbers and the disrespectful kid did the unthinkable. He can learn from this if adults stop pretending it didn't happen.
Ms. Minotaur,

What disrespectful kid are you talking about. The only kid I saw was the brave and reserved lad who, when a whack job indian with a drum got in his face while black racist hurled racial and homophobic epitaphs at him, stood calmly with a smile.

Jan 2019
USA
The fake news stuff ends up so damaging to one's own side that I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see examples of self-inflicted false flag smears to frame the other side for being fake news perpetuators.

I think that's the lesson to be learned here for both sides, is don't believe what you read until it's had some time to be fact-checked, and even if it turns out to be fake news, you maybe shouldn't even assume you know its source or the motives behind it, because you might not. If it turns out to be fake news, dismiss it as manipulative garbage propagated by some shady characters, and that's it. Don't try to wield it for political gain, because it could backfire on you.
And we have seen that all over the forum worlds and some still push the lies, even after being shown the damn links to the medias retraction.

Partisan shilling at it's finest.

Jan 2019
USA

What might that be?