Crenshaw-AOC battle puts spotlight on lending guns to friends and family

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Interesting point, how many lend guns to friends or family members? Our gun clubs often have guns for people to borrow. Military guys do this all the time to see which one they might prefer.

A social media battle between two of the House’s biggest stars is putting a focus on whether it’s OK to loan a gun to a friend.

Rep. Dan Crenshaw's (R-Texas) statement about loaning a gun sparked an incredulous response from Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), who could hardly believe someone would think of the possibility.

“Why on earth would you do that?” she responded to a tweet from Crenshaw.

Crenshaw was nearly as incredulous at Ocasio-Cortez. He said that only urban elites would not understand why someone might lend a firearm. The idea of loaning guns to people for their own self-defense is nothing new, and federal law does allow legal gun owners to loan or “transfer” their firearms as long as the recipient is not prohibited from possessing one.

Examples include fathers teaching their children proper gun safety procedures or farmers helping one another protect their land from wild animals. A licensed gun owner might want to take a friend to a gun range to teach them how to shoot for the first time.

Crenshaw-AOC battle puts spotlight on lending guns to a friend

Jul 2011
Old NYC/DMS
the #liberalSHcult should provide evidence on how many loaned guns are used in crimes, before going into hysterics to get them banned.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
And then she played the "domestic abusers" card. Maybe Ocasio-Cortez's friends are commonly domestic abusers, but she should not assume that everyone else is willing to be friends with people like that.

Sep 2016
My own world
And then she played the "domestic abusers" card. Maybe Ocasio-Cortez's friends are commonly domestic abusers, but she should not assume that everyone else is willing to be friends with people like that.
Bet you that you have and you don't know it. Do you think couples advertise that they have beaten the other or their children?
l worked with and was friends with a woman that was eventually killed by her husband, strangled to death. On the outside they looked like a happy couple and he looked as harmless as milk toast.

Sep 2014
USA
I had my friends .22 handgun for months before I bought it from her, to see if I liked it. I followed this stupid social media exchange and AOC is a ignorant fool. No one in their right mind would lend a gun to someone they don't know or trust. The personal blow back if something happens is not worth it. While she was dancing on roof tops in College, he had his eye shot out fighting for his Country. She isn't fit to clean his shoes.

Our gun club is pretty picky about lending out guns. They always ask if you have used one before, and if you haven't, they ask that you work with a trainer until you get familiar with it.

Sep 2014
USA
Crenshaw said that only urban elites would not understand why someone might lend a firearm.
Rural America, where you can't leave home without a gun.....because everyone else is armed, too.
<snicker>
Come walk around East Cleveland, where the street lights are shot out to prevent camera footage from picking up a crime. Listen to the gun shots all night long. I am sure those criminals are swapping guns all the time....a cop told me the little punks trade guns for bull dogs and find them in garbage cans all the time. Seems like the cities have the same thought process as the rural folks. Akron had a case a few years ago where a douche bag walked up and down a street all day long carrying a rifle. The guy in the video, who owns a barber shop, did not have one customer all day because of this idiot.

Jul 2013
Ohio
Come walk around East Cleveland, where the street lights are shot out to prevent camera footage from picking up a crime. Listen to the gun shots all night long. I am sure those criminals are swapping guns all the time....a cop told me the little punks trade guns for bull dogs and find them in garbage cans all the time. Seems like the cities have the same thought process as the rural folks. Akron had a case a few years ago where a douche bag walked up and down a street all day long carrying a rifle. The guy in the video, who owns a barber shop, did not have one customer all day because of this idiot.
There's two reasons guys carry guns. Pick one.
1. They're afraid to leave home without one.
2. They're looking for trouble.