Cricket not a sport, Russia says lol

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

Russia has officially refused to recognize cricket — which is considered the second most popular sport in the world after football — as a sport, according to a Russian Sports Ministry memo.

Russia’s “registry of sports” lists recognized disciplines that include ice stock sport — similar to curling — and korfball — a Dutch unisex sport. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) recognized cricket, which has not been featured in the Summer Games since 1900, a decade ago.

“Refuse recognition of cricket as a sport,” reads the memo authored by Sports Minister Pavel Kolobkov dated Monday, July 15.

The directive also lists Thai boxing known as Muay Thai as a non-sport in Russia.

The Russian Sports Ministry decision came a day after host nation England won the cricket World Cup.
Cricket Is Not a Sport, Russia Says - The Moscow Times

Really, Muai Thai ain't a sport? That'll sure be news to all the young boys in studying it in dojos countrywide

It's hugely popular over there, these days. When I was doing it as a kid myself in Moscow, it was still all about karate and such, and us "Taitsy" were more or less a crazy fringe group (a fierce and mighty one, no less be of course, making up for our small numbers with sheer ferocity and skill lol We fought the guys from the karate dojo in the same building a lot, and sure as hell beat the hell out of those pricks plenty too :D)

Now, it's huge. Here, for example, Sergey Badyuk, action movie star and martial arts legend over there, who himself started in karate and taekwondo long ago, but now promotes Muai Thai, invites a lucky group of people to come train in Thailand with him

As for cricket, I have not heard of anyone in Russia being particularly into that; but, what about Lapta, a similar ancient Slavic game that's been regaining popularity there in recent years?

What the hell are they thinking???

Reactions: BigLeRoy

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
It's basically popular throughout the Commonwealth (except, for some reason, in Canada).

It's the game people learnt to beat their British occupiers at.
Sikh and other Indian immigrants (and descendants) here love it too :)

Jun 2014
United States
You know, "sport" is a pretty loose term. Are all outdoor games "sports"?

Is golf a sport, or a hobby? What about hiking? Is that a sport?

On ESPN, poker is a sport now.

Jan 2016
Colorado
You know, "sport" is a pretty loose term. Are all outdoor games "sports"?

Is golf a sport, or a hobby? What about hiking? Is that a sport?

On ESPN, poker is a sport now.
I once got into an argument with a high school principal over whether chess is a sport. He scoffed at the notion. Associated chess with nerdy young dorks wearing thick glasses, I suspect. I acquainted him with this person, who was a chess expert and also a martial arts expert:

Joshua Waitzkin - Wikipedia

You have to be in pretty prime physical condition to be a top chess player. It takes a lot of PHYSICAL stamina to force your brain to concentrate so much energy and focused attention on a chessboard for many many hours over (say) a three-day weekend, which might be typical for a chess tournament. Chess players peak in their 20's, usually in their early 20's, and can fade pretty quickly after that.

Reactions: The Man
Jul 2011
UK/Australia
We learned to beat them with muskets over here. ;)
LOL, I would have a care about statements like that - have you ever heard of Admiral Francois de Grasse, or Jean-Baptiste, compte de Rochambeau, or the Marquis de Lafayette, or indeed of the French nation's financial, material, logistical, military, and naval assistance to the rebellious American colonies? Yorktown, to take but one example, was Rochambeau's victory not Washington's. It was not the colonists' muskets which settled the dispute - it was the military and navy of a mighty empire. ;)
When 70-year-old Benjamin Franklin boarded the Continental sloop-of-war Reprisal in Philadelphia on October 26, 1776, for a month-long voyage to France, Gen. George Washington’s Continental Army was losing the American Revolutionary War.
How France Helped Win the American Revolution

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
LOL, I would have a care about statements like that - have you ever heard of Admiral Francois de Grasse, or Jean-Baptiste, compte de Rochambeau, or the Marquis de Lafayette, or indeed of the French nation's financial, material, logistical, military, and naval assistance to the rebellious American colonies? Yorktown, to take but one example, was Rochambeau's victory not Washington's. It was not the colonists' muskets which settled the dispute - it was the military and navy of a mighty empire. ;)
How France Helped Win the American Revolution
Maybe so, but the French cricket team is rubbish.

Reactions: The Man and Leo2