Cruz and Ocasio Cortez could team up again on OTC birth control bill

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Seems like they are getting along..

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is looking to join forces with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) on legislation that would make over-the-counter birth control legal.

The GOP Texas senator on Monday offered to team up with her to create a "simple, clean bill making birth control available over the counter," a move that comes just weeks after he offered to take up lobbyist reform with her.

"Perhaps, in addition to the legislation we are already working on together to ban Members of Congress from becoming lobbyists, we can team up here as well," Cruz said on Twitter, quoting a tweet from Ocasio-Cortez last week in which she argued for making birth control obtainable over the counter.

Cruz and Ocasio-Cortez became an unlikely pairing on an issue involving lobbyist reform earlier this month. The two said that their offices were holding staff-level meetings on efforts to pass a lifetime ban on former lawmakers lobbying. The collaboration came after Cruz voiced on Twitter that he agreed with Ocasio-Cortez's argument that it should be illegal for former members of Congress to become corporate lobbyists.

Cruz pitches Ocasio-Cortez on bill to make birth control available over the counter

Mar 2019
TN
Sounds like a phenomenal idea to me !!! I hope they can maybe, just maybe, break the partisan gridlock and get either or both of these ideas into law. I think even a compromise on the lobbying gig would be instead of a lifetime ban., make them wait at least 5 or maybe 6 years.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Just wait until she finds out that Planned Parenthood opposes OTC birth control. I guarantee you that she had no idea that this has been a Republican idea for the past few years.