Crying women more harshly judged than men

P

patriotgrl

Agree, disagree?

Women are not making it up when they say they’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t,” said Stephanie Shields, the psychology professor who conducted the study. “If you don’t express any emotion, you’re seen as not human, like Mr. Spock on ’Star Trek,”’ she said. “But too much crying, or the wrong kind, and you’re labeled as overemotional, out of control, and possibly irrational.”
“Angry women are seen as emotionally out of control,” Yale social psychologist Victoria Brescoll, who conducted three experiments on how people perceive female anger, told the Yale Alumni Magazine, “while angry men are clearly rewarded for their behavior.”
“Bill could cry, and did, but Hillary can’t,” says Tom Lutz, a professor at the University of California, Riverside who authored an exhaustive history of crying. In other words, the same tearful response that would be seen as sensitivity in Bill could be seen as a lack of control in his wife.
Crying women more harshly judged than men - Behavior - MSNBC.com

G

Goldwater

Agree, it's irresistable to blame horemones when a woman shows dramatic emotion. I think it's because women have a greater range of normal emotions that makes men think something is wrong when it isn't, so that's why I blame hormone's. It's easier than accepting that the rest of your life with the woman you love is gonna be like this all the time.

S

Sparta

So are crying women judged more harshly by women? Is that what this says?

L

Libre

I have never seen a man cry at work. I have seen every woman I have ever worked with cry.

L

Latherty

Why is "physcologist" in such large script in the OP? Does it have some special meaning I've missed?
And Spock is by far the coolest part of the star Trek team, whats the matter of seeming like Spock. I'd love to be like Spock.

N

Nerdo

Why is "physcologist" in such large script in the OP? Does it have some special meaning I've missed?
And Spock is by far the coolest part of the star Trek team, whats the matter of seeming like Spock. I'd love to be like Spock.
I always like McCoy the most. "I'm a doctor, Jim, not a lumberjack!"

L

Latherty

His character died with that series...bit of a pity really. spock was emulated in time and again in the following series (Seven of Nine...phwaor)