Cuba has freed all 53 prisoners as agreed in U.S. deal: U.S. officials

Nov 2014
Canada
Cuba has freed all 53 prisoners as agreed in U.S. deal: U.S. officials | Reuters

(Reuters) - Cuba has completed the release of all 53 prisoners it had promised to free, the Obama administration said on Monday, a major step toward détente with Washington.

The release of the remaining detainees overcomes a big hurdle for historic talks next week aimed at normalizing ties after decades of hostility. The list of 53 is part of last month's breakthrough U.S.-Cuba agreement and includes many known to international human rights groups as "prisoners of conscience."

The United States welcomed Cuba's action as a milestone, but senior U.S. officials said Washington would keep pressing Havana to free more people they consider political prisoners.

Lifting the secrecy around the freed dissidents, the Obama administration provided the full list to congressional leaders. According to a copy obtained by Reuters, they include members of prominent Cuba protest groups including the Ladies in White.

-more at link-

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
Huh. And just last week the RWNJs on this board were accusing Obama and the State Department of being bamboozled by the Cubans. That we were being suckered into giving up three Cubans for nothing in return.

I wonder if any of them will come forward and admit they were wrong.

Feb 2011
The greatest place on Earth California
Huh. And just last week the RWNJs on this board were accusing Obama and the State Department of being bamboozled by the Cubans. That we were being suckered into giving up three Cubans for nothing in return.

Can you wait until hell freezes over?

May 2014
Between Inane and Insane

Feb 2011
The greatest place on Earth California
I think it already has in my neck of the woods, [MENTION=7619]April15[/MENTION]. Still no apologies from the righties though.

Any other suggestions?
If you live in the east of the US it is normal for winter to be freezing. As for a cogent reply from the goofballs I doubt they could come up with one.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america

I was wrong.

BUT, I have stated that I actually do agree with opening up relations with the Castro's.

I just want to make certain that we do everything right, and not simply give them (him?? Raoul is pretty much the one in charge now) resources, so that they can continue to hold their people as prisoners.

Which, will probably be MUCH more difficult for the Cuban Regime, once we have normalized relations with them.