Cultural appropriation can be beautiful lol

Jan 2016
Colorado
I hate that film. Not that it's a bad film in itself, but the fact that it gets such high praise (and even an Oscar!) pisses me off since there was no creativity of any kind involved in making it. I was shocked when I watched the film it's based on to discover that it's not just 'based on' it; it's an exact copy. All the good bits with high drama and tension are pretty much frame by frame copies of the original film's scenes. Scorcese deserves no more credit for this film than someone would for carefully tracing a good drawing.
The book that film was based on was written by an author from my hometown of Muscatine, Iowa. He's a guy who writes detective fiction, mostly.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I hate that film. Not that it's a bad film in itself, but the fact that it gets such high praise (and even an Oscar!) pisses me off since there was no creativity of any kind involved in making it. I was shocked when I watched the film it's based on to discover that it's not just 'based on' it; it's an exact copy. All the good bits with high drama and tension are pretty much frame by frame copies of the original film's scenes. Scorcese deserves no more credit for this film than someone would for carefully tracing a good drawing.
It's not Scorcese's best. That was one of those "we owe this guy one for all the great movies he's done before this" Oscars.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
My Eastwood film collection: Hang 'Em High; High Plains Drifter; A Fistful of Dollars; For a Few Dollars More; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; The Outlaw Josey Wales; Pale Rider; Unforgiven; and Heartbreak Ridge (the only non-Western of his I have, though I've seen quite a few others).
Here's a good example of why the idea of the idea of cultural appropriation is stupid. A Fistful Of Dollars is a remake of the Japanese movie Yojimbo. The director of that movie, Akira Kurosawa, is arguably the greatest movie director of all time. He was heavily influenced by American Westerns. And American films were heavily influenced by him in return. Ever see one of those movies or tv shows where they show the events from the point of view of different characters and sometimes they even conflict with each other? That was Rashomon. Kurosawa also made Shakespeare plays into samurai stories (like Throne of Blood for Macbeth, or Ran for King Lear). Americans adapted many techniques and tropes from Kurosawa.
Everyone was influenced by and learned from each other for the better. We wouldn't have any of it if everyone stayed in their own cultural lane.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Cultural Appropriation failure.. 1998 Godzilla. wtf that wasn't even Gojira, it was a Jurassic Park movie.

2014 Godzilla much better. Hearing that roar for the first time in the movie theater gave me goosebumps :eek:

Last edited:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Here's a good example of why the idea of the idea of cultural appropriation is stupid. A Fistful Of Dollars is a remake of the Japanese movie Yojimbo. The director of that movie, Akira Kurosawa, is arguably the greatest movie director of all time. He was heavily influenced by American Westerns. And American films were heavily influenced by him in return. Ever see one of those movies or tv shows where they show the events from the point of view of different characters and sometimes they even conflict with each other? That was Rashomon. Kurosawa also made Shakespeare plays into samurai stories (like Throne of Blood for Macbeth, or Ran for King Lear). Americans adapted many techniques and tropes from Kurosawa.
Everyone was influenced by and learned from each other for the better. We wouldn't have any of it if everyone stayed in their own cultural lane.
Even the original Star Wars films were an adaptation of a Japanese legend, I believe..